Network Discussion Guidelines
The Network is a community of people across the Christian Reformed Church (and beyond) who come together to share, learn, and encourage each other in ministry.
You are invited to post comments, questions, and discussion topics throughout the site. We encourage discussion that will help fellow church members as they engage in local and global ministry.
The Network staff reviews comments using the following guidelines:
- On Topic -- Comments should be relevant to the issues or questions raised by the original post.
- To the Point -- Comments should be reasonably short and concise. Be succinct.
- Respectful and Polite -- In both language and tone, comments should be respectful and polite - even when you’re commenting on something with which you strongly disagree.
- Address Issues, Not People -- In general, comments should focus on an issue. The Network is a place to talk with others, not about others. If you refer to a person or group, take extra care to be honest, respectful, and polite. Remember that they are your brothers and sisters in Christ, and should not have to join your discussion to defend themselves. Accusations, labeling, or name-calling directed at individuals or groups will not be tolerated.
- Invite More Comments -- Good comments promote participation from more people. In contrast, commenters who dominate a group or get into excessive back and forth can stifle participation from others. Be a welcoming presence that encourages others to engage.
- Take Ownership -- The Network encourages people to add their real name to their account. Anonymous users may be asked to use their real names or risk having their accounts blocked and comments removed. Enforcement is at the discretion of the moderator, and some exceptions are allowed.
We do not edit comments, so if any part of a comment is judged to violate these guidelines the entire comment is removed. You are free to post again in a way that fits within the guidelines.
These guidelines are intended to help understand our approach to user-posted content. But they are not exhaustive, and we may ban users or remove comments for reasons not covered here, including compliance with local laws.
Moderators aren’t perfect, but we try to make the best decisions we can for the good of the whole Network community. Our decisions are final and comments may be removed without further explanation. Discussions about why a comment was or wasn’t removed will be deemed off topic and removed.