This month marks the release of the Building Blocks of Faith Toolkit online at crcna.org/FaithFormation/toolkits. This toolkit represents more than two year’s work from the team at Faith Formation Ministries. More about what is in the toolkit will be coming in other blog posts but for now let’s take a quick look at what the Building Blocks of Faith are.
The Building Blocks of Faith answer a simple question: “What do people need in order to grow in their faith?” The Building Blocks are based on four themes of faith development for all ages:
- I Belong.
- I Know and Understand.
- I Have Hope.
- I Am Called and Equipped.
These statements reflect Scripture and the Heidelberg Catechism:
- I belong to Jesus and thus to his body, the church.
- Because I belong, I know the story of God’s faithfulness, of which I am a part.
- That story has a climactic conclusion! I have hope, through Christ, in all of God’s promises. God is making all things new, and he is using us to accomplish that.
- Inside that story, I am called to work in God’s kingdom, and I am equipped to do that work.
The Building Blocks serve as a tool for congregations to strategizing and implementing a comprehensive ministry overview and for shepherding a stronger discipleship and faith formation culture
For more information and resources that your congregation can use, check out the Building Blocks of Faith Toolkit! This toolkit is an online collection of resources from the Faith Formation team and from local CRC churches that can spark action, creativity, and real change in your church.