- How to better coordinate ministry so that it's more effective and so that it can better identify and harness resources in the community.
- How to select deacons for better match of specific gifts with office and vision.
- Strengthen the leadership of deacons in helping the congregation steward its gifts for spiritual growth and for service.
- Examine tenure to encourage better consistency and continuity.
- Participation of deacons at major assemblies.
One of the main themes in the overture was the conviction that the MANDATE of the deacons is huge, while the provisions for how to work are narrow and constrained.