This month, chaplains gathered to talk about the challenges of women in ministry. Chaplaincy has had the opportunity to watch many female chaplains become leaders and pioneers within the CRCNA, paving the way for more women to follow God’s calling into ministry. Being among the first, their journey has been difficult. We appreciate their dedication to their call to ministry and their willingness to share sacred stories of strength and patience as they live out God’s calling.
We thank our women chaplains for sharing their experience and helping us understand the struggle that many women in ministry face. The work is exhausting and exhilarating. We are thankful, too, for the men that joined to hear the stories and to be allies for women in work places and churches.
We are called to truly listen the stories of our sisters who share the stories and wounds without becoming defensive. We are called to look around the “tables” where we gather to encourage good ideas and the work of colleagues. All of us, male and female, are called to mentor new female leaders and encourage our sisters in ministry, for the load they carry is heavy.
Here are some resources that were shared:
- Brene Brown’s Dare to Lead
- Many Smith’s Vulnerable Pastor: How Human Limitations Empower Our Ministry
- Christians For Biblical Equality: This site includes a variety of resources for equipping Christians to use their God-given talents in leadership and service regardless of gender, ethnicity, or class.
- Young Clergy Women International is a network of under 40 year old clergy women around the global from a variety of denominations to provide on-line support and wisdom-sharing.
- CRC Clergy Women Facebook Group: a closed Facebook group for CRC clergy women that provides resources, support, and encouragement in ministry.
- Leadership Diversity: Women’s Ministry affirms and supports women in all levels of leadership. They help Christian Reformed churches and ministries create a culture in which, together, men and women thrive in pursuit of God’s mission in the world.