As a Dwell coordinator, I spent late summer preparing for our September launch, thinking a lot about helping children know their teacher and where to go, and spending time stocking our Dwell spaces with any necessary supplies, but I didn’t always remember to reach out and care for my Dwell leaders as they began a new year.
So here’s my idea—what if you gifted your leaders a special Dwell kit? (See header photo above)
I focused on session planning supplies in this kit, including:
- Dwell leader books and student resources: I included one copy of each of the student resources as leaders will often need those to prepare their lessons.
- Dwell Story Symbols: Did you know you can purchase full-color versions of the story symbols? My teachers loved using these to decorate their rooms throughout the year. (If you haven’t seen them before, they’re the backdrop in my photo!)
- Dwelling: Helping Kids Find a Place in God’s Story: This handbook is a fantastic resource, offering practical ideas, tips, and encouragement for Dwell leaders.
- Colorful pens or highlighters: In my opinion, prepping is especially fun when you have colorful new pens to use.
- Sticky notes: A very integral part of the planning process! Leaders can use them to keep their place in the leader guide or mark which activities they’ll include.
- A brief note of encouragement: Tell your leaders how grateful you are that they have stepped into this role, what a wonderful group of kids they’ll be working with, and how excited you are for the year ahead.
- A sweet treat: OK, you don’t need this for planning, but sugar always makes me feel loved and appreciated! You could replace this with a coffee gift card or other treat, depending on what your leaders enjoy.
- An invitation to join the Dwell Leaders Facebook group, where Dwell coordinators and leaders can connect, share ideas, ask questions and suggest changes for improvement.
If your church is using our amazing new Dwell Digital delivery system, you could also include information about accessing that. Below you’ll find a suggested note that you can copy and print to share with your leaders. (If you would like to subscribe to Dwell Digital, you can do so by calling 800-333-8300.)
Whether gifted at the start of the year, in the first couple weeks of leading, or mid-way through the year as an extra encouragement, this is a great way to show your Dwell leaders that you’re thinking about them and want to set them up for success. For more great ideas like this, check out our Dwell Facebook page and Dwell Leaders group.
Dwell Digital Note:
New this year—Dwell Digital!
Our church now subscribes to Dwell Digital--a great new service that gives you online access to all leader resources, including lesson plans and training support. In the near future Dwell Digital will also allow us to access fresh new Dwell content, including brand-new activities, crafts, and more.
I recently sent you an email invitation to create a Dwell Digital account. If you haven’t received it yet, please let me know. Creating an account is simple:
- Visit Digital.DwellCurriculum.org.
- Click on “Log in” in the top right hand corner.
- Click on “Create an account.”
When creating your Dwell Digital login, just be sure you use the same email that the invite was sent to. Or let me know if you want me to send the invite to a different email.
If you have any questions as you begin using Dwell Digital, you can check out their support page.
I’m sure this will be a valuable tool for us this year!