Your church probably has guest preachers when your pastor has a week off for vacation or when you are vacant. What should you compensate a preacher for leading services and preaching on a Sunday?
Here is a rationale for providing fair recognition to guest preachers given to Classis Grand Rapids East churches:
- Jesus said: "The worker deserves his wages." Luke 10:7, quoted in 1 Timothy 5:17
- Persons with similar training (coaches, counselors) routinely charge $100 or more per hour, with minimal preparation and follow up.
- A preacher generally will invest 5-10 hours in sermon/service preparation and presentation time.
- Persons ordinarily serve as guest preachers during their time off, their discretionary time, or in a non-salaried status.
- Persons who do not need or wish to receive the stipend can return it at their discretion.
Churches in that classis were encouraged to consider a minimum stipend of $200 for a single preparation, plus mileage and other considerations as appropriate.
Does your church need to review and adjust their stipend for guest preachers?