Membership Transfer


Someone asked me last week if the Christian Reformed Church had membership transfer forms. Yes, the form for transferring the membership of a professing member is available here from Faith Alive Resources. It looks like you may use this form for a family that would include professing members and baptized members. What if a request comes in for a transfer of a baptized member?

In January, 2013, leaders of the CRC, other Protestant denominations, and the Catholic church signed an ecumenical document agreeing to recognize each other's baptisms. Those who signed this document agree to accept the baptism of the other church and not ask that the person be baptized over again. In the CRC, a baptized membership is usually transferred by sending a baptism certificate to the other church. Baptism certificates are available for order from Faith Alive Resources.

Do you use the "Transfer of Membership" form for transferring professing memberships? Does your leadership understand how to transfer a baptized member? How does your church organize membership information? Do you use church software, excel spreadsheets, or are these transfers still recorded in membership books? What do you do with membership changes that do not go to another denomination that accepts membership transfers? What helpful information might you have for other churches?

Posted in:
Image Credit

The Network hosts user-submitted content.
Posts don't necessarily imply CRCNA endorsement, but must comply with our community guidelines.

Let's Discuss…

We love your comments! Thanks for your help upholding the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.

Just got a question from someone wondering if the membership transfer form can also be used for CRC to RCA transfers. Any advice? Thanks!