Minister Relocations


A minister recently emailed us asking what should be covered as far as transportation when a minister moves from one church to another.  He was reviewing the “Letter of Call” that says “we promise to underwrite all expenses incurred in the transportation and moving of yourself, your family, and your belongings, in accord with synodical regulations of the Christian Reformed Church.”

Since the CRC retirement office moves some ministers when they retire, we were asked what expenses are covered for retired ministers.  So, what evolved is “Minister Relocations,” a document to help churches and active ministers come to an understanding of what may or may not be covered as move expenses.

What guidelines have you used when you paid for expenses for moving a minister? Do you have other suggestions? Will these guidelines help with clarifying expectations on your next minister relocation?

File Attachment: 
Posted in:
Image Credit

The Network hosts user-submitted content.
Posts don't necessarily imply CRCNA endorsement, but must comply with our community guidelines.

Let's Discuss…

We love your comments! Thanks for your help upholding the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.

Thank you for this post. It is helpful and timely!


Community Builder

How does the CRCNA handle the moving costs of a non ordained person to a foreign country?

That is on the way out. What about returning from that assignment after, say, 20 years?



This is what we do for International employees.


Full time employees, for those moving from the U.S. or Canada, or a Third Country National moving from their country of residence to their country of post, will receive an outfitting allowance of $5,525 (equal to 1 month salary based on our level J target) and an additional amount will be provided based on the formula outlined below:

    Employee – current airline excess bag fee x 10

    Spouse and eligible dependents – current airline excess bag fee x 5 per person

Return shipping allowance

$2,763 (equal to 1/2 month salary based on our level J target)  In addition an amount for the employee based on current airline excess bag fee x 5, and for spouse and/or each eligible dependent (see Outfitting Allowance section for definition of eligible dependent) an amount based on current airline excess bag fee x 3.