Transferring Supervision of a Retired Minister?


I am a clerk of council and need to transfer the credentials of a minister who has since retired and joined another congregation. Article 18 of the 2016 Church Order states that "This transfer is to be made in the following manner: the council of the church which the emeritus minister served last formally requests the council of the church which the emeritus minister wishes to join, to exercise supervision over the minister." Is this an actual form (like the Ecclesiastical Credential for Minister), or can I simply draft a letter requesting the new church take over supervision?

Posted in:
  • Church Admin & Finance > Employment > Employees > Pastors
  • Church Order
  • Q&A

Let's Discuss…

We love your comments! Thanks for your help upholding the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.

Hi Amy:

Thanks for your question. There is a form for the transfer of the credentials of a retired minister. It is posted below "Forms" at Or you can select the following link:


Dee Recker



© 2014 Christian Reformed Church in North America. All rights reserved.
For website questions or corrections, use the feedback tab at right or contact us.