Does a US pastor need a license to officiate at a Canadian wedding?


WARNING TO ALL CRC MINISTERS: I have received word that ministers serving USA churches are officiating at weddings in Canadian provinces without first obtaining a licence to do so. Please note that all Canadian provinces, unlike some states in the USA, require advance licensing. Not arranging for such, perhaps through Stated Clerks of the Classis in which the church is located, could lead to a marriage not being legal.

Posted in:

The Network hosts user-submitted content.
Posts don't necessarily imply CRCNA endorsement, but must comply with our community guidelines.

Let's Discuss…

We love your comments! Thanks for your help upholding the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.

I'm an ordained pastor in Colorado and have been asked to officiate a wedding of a couple who lives in Ontario. I understand that I need to be licensed to do so. How can I get this done in time before the wedding which takes place in September 2018? Thanks for your help.

- Rev. Erik Burklin

Community Builder



Your post was attached to a earlier posts on this.

You need to contact Darren Roorda at the CRC's Burlington, Ontario office.  I believe he can help you get a license which you will definitely need in order to do this legally.