What’s Great About This Job!
Sunrise Community Church might be known as “The Weirdest Little Church in Texas” but it is a recognized leader in various areas – creating a radically-diverse worshipping community, serving low-income families with childcare and being the standard for integrated work with the homeless that has resulted in managing over 50% of federal housing placements in Travis County. Sunrise is much more than a Sunday-worshipping church – it is a vibrant and bold environment that is shatters the mold for what one church can do in their community.
Sunrise is looking for an exciting new staff member that can help build our church’s capacity for impacting our community through donor development, administration and pastoring our people. This is an exciting time in the life of Sunrise and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
Church & Organization Description
Sunrise Community Church has called South Austin home since 1987 and, since that time, has been reaching vulnerable people with the love of God, creating the most unique family you’ll ever be a part of. Sunrise’s worshipping community consists of people from every strata of society, including people experiencing homelessness, university students, professionals and more. Many of Sunrise’s members are in 12-step recovery programs. Our Sunrise Neighborhood Youth Program (SNYP) has been creating a place for low-income families to find low-cost, high-quality childcare since 1999 with after-school and summer camps for elementary school-aged kids. Starting in 2015, Sunrise started taking an active role in ministering to a growing homeless population in South Austin. In four years, the Sunrise Homeless Navigation Center has turned into one of the most influential and highly-respected homeless services organizations in Central Texas, connecting over 400 people to housing along with our many non-profit, law enforcement, university and government partners. Additionally, we host the only fully-integrated medical/mental health walk-in clinic for people experiencing homelessness in our sanctuary once a week. While Sunrise only has a handful of paid employees, our volunteer, intern and partner-agency staffing equals well over 50 people, creating massive logistical potential and challenges. That’s why this position is so vital to Sunrise’s long-term success.
The Administrative Pastor (ordained) or Administrator (non-ordained) will lead Sunrise by creating the capacity for long-term growth of impact through donor development, administration and leading our worshipping community. The person will be a self-starter, be energetic and flexible and work alongside our Lead Pastor to maximize ministry growth and impact.
- A Christian that has a well-developed knowledge of themselves and of our broken world
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field is required
- MSW, MDiv or graduate work/degree in a related area is preferred
- Experience in church leadership, non-profit leadership and/or fundraising is preferred
- Experience with social justice, homelessness, mental health and/or substance abuse is a must
DONOR DEVELOPMENT – Build Financial Capacity
- Research, submit and manage grant proposals (willing to train)
- Lead volunteer grant writing team and University of Texas grant partners
- Work with deacons to handle church’s finances, personnel and building issues
- Connect with donor churches and individuals
ADMINISTRATION – Build Operational Capacity
- Work with Sunrise’s Deacons and Boards to Create and Manage Financial Planning
- Lead Staff Meetings and Manage Custodial/Maintenance Workers
- Oversee Volunteer Recruitment, Training and Scheduling
- Oversee Supply Purchasing
MINISTRY – Build Spiritual Capacity
- Be a regular part of worshipping community, handle weekly announcements & vision casting
- Preach (if desired)
- Provide leadership in the areas of worship and discipleship
REPORTS TO: Lead Pastor, Servant’s Council
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time, Salaried
Salary: Starting Salary plus Fundraising Incentive Bonuses
Work Location Note: While some office hours may be necessary (specifically for staff meetings and Sunday mornings), it is likely – and maybe even preferable (due to our busy co-working environment) – that a majority of work hours may be done remotely from home or other locations.
** Female & minority candidates are heavily encouraged to apply**