We are a community-focused church in Wyoming, MI, and we are looking for an individual who feels called to lead us in worship. The description is quite detailed but we are open to a conversation about how much of this would need to be done by the worship leader if someone has limited time.
Worship at Calvary
We long to be transformed by God's power to love God and love people so that we become a Christ-centered and Spirit-empowered church for our community. Calvary values diverse worship music that is led in a variety of ways. We tend to value authentic, heart-felt worship over worship that is led more as an artful performance. Our goal is to make a connection between the worship leaders and the congregation that enables everyone present to experience our connection with God. While we value skill and musical talent, we are more focused on facilitating worship led from the heart by leaders who are able to connect with the congregation. We do not strive to lead worship as well as it could possibly be led by anyone anywhere, rather we strive to lead worship to the best of our abilities that God has granted at any one time. Another way to say this is that we are striving to be the best version of our actual selves. We utilize a rotating schedule of worship leaders which we very much value, but we are looking to have a worship leader who is able to be present on a weekly basis to give us a more consistent experience in worship. We are also looking for someone who is able to draw people into worship leadership and inspire them to lead various elements of the worship service such as singing, reading, praying, and playing instruments. Calvary has one Sunday morning service per week and a number of special services in the seasons of Advent and Lent.
The Director of Worship and Music provides leadership in creating an authentic non-performance-based worship experience by developing and leading worship and technical teams through prayer, coordination, participation in, and evaluation of worship experiences at Calvary CRC. The Director of Worship and Music works closely with pastors, staff, members, and the worship planning committee and technical team to grow the worship life of the church, strengthen the church body and support the church mission and vision.
Responsibilities and Duties
Worship Planning and Coordination
- Attend church regularly and consistently participate in the ministry of Calvary Church, being a part of the worship leadership team in some way three or more times a month.
- Attend and participate as a member of the worship planning committee.
- Attend staff meetings and coordinate worship plans and schedules and plans with staff and church.
- Select worship music and liturgy details for Sunday morning worship that complement the content of the message in coordination with the worship planning team, lead pastor, and others, as needed.
- Coordinate and plan special worship services such as Maundy Thursday, Thanksgiving, Glow, Christmas, and prayer services.
- Recruit, organize, and schedule worship praise teams and accompanists as needed.
- Recruit, schedule, train, and lead the teams that run sound, slides, and live video streaming production.
- Coordinate and lead rehearsals as needed during the week and on Sunday morning.
- Encourage members and attenders to develop their musical gifts so they are able to serve on worship teams, choirs, solos, and ensembles, creating a safe space for them to develop their skills.
- Encourage and facilitate members and attenders to lead in other areas of the worship service such as scripture readings, prayers, and drama as opportunities are available.
- Coordinate care and maintenance of worship resources and various instruments and with the church administrator and lead pastor. Coordinate the care and design of the worship area with the visual arts team and church staff.
- Work with the pastor, church leadership, worship leadership team, and visual arts team to explore worship arts and styles that strengthen the church body and its mission in our community.
- Create, coordinate and lead worship that incorporates a variety of gifts and styles for a broad range of members.
- Serve as regular accompanist and leader for worship services.
- Lead pre-service prayer time for worship leaders.
- Other duties as assigned by the lead pastor and Elders of Calvary CRC.
- Is a committed Christian, speaking freely about a personal relationship with the Lord and an appreciation of the Reformed theological tradition.
- Lives with integrity and demonstrates Godly character.
- Has a demonstrated ability to perform the job duties detailed above.
- Is proficient in a worship leadership instrument (usually piano or guitar).
- Is able to lead transitions and verbal elements of the service.
- Has experience with technical aspects of worship that are used at Calvary, including proficiency with running a soundboard, Proclaim software, CCLI, Song Select, Video Streaming Software, Facebook, YouTube, Gmail, and Google Docs.
- Is able to work collegially with others the staff, council, volunteers, and members in the church.
- Demonstrated well-developed organizational skills with excellent attention to detail, follow-through, and initiative.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Reports to Lead Pastor
Hours & Compensation - Part-Time Salaried
25 - 30 hours per week
$18,000 - 24,000 per year
To find out more, please contact Joel Franken at [email protected]
To apply for this position, email a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references to Steve Weeda, Chair of Calvary CRC Council at [email protected].
The application deadline is November 21, 2021. This position is open until filled.