Trinity Christian College seeks an Interim Dean of the Chapel to shape and lead a culture of worship for the college, pastor the college community, and develop opportunities for Christian formation consistent with Trinity’s intentional Christian mission. The Interim Dean offers a compelling, invitational, and winsome witness for the Christian faith with a demonstrated commitment to both a generously Reformed and thoughtfully evangelical posture. The Interim Dean serves the whole community, though with a particular focus on the formation of and care for students. This is an interim role for the 2021-2022 academic year, during which time a search will occur for a permanent Dean of the Chapel (with details to be announced at a later time). The Interim Dean may, at his or her choice, apply for the permanent position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following categories, to which the Interim Dean should aspire in significant measure (understanding that the role is interim):
- Sets the vision for and executes an engaging, accessible, and broadly Reformed worship program that is hospitable to the large numbers of the Trinity community that come from various other Christian traditions. The Interim Dean of the Chapel
- in partnership with other Campus Ministries staff and leaders, plans and prepares the twice-weekly voluntary chapel services over the course of each semester;
- regularly speaks in chapel to shape a theme and give consistent voice to the worship life at Trinity; and
- invites and hosts chapel speakers, both from on and off campus.
- Leads a comprehensive campus ministries program at Trinity to promote the Christian formation and discipleship of the campus community – and enlists allies in that effort from within the campus community and outside of it.
- Provides vision to, leadership for, supervision of, and mentorship towards staff and volunteers in the Campus Ministries office.
- Depending upon need, experience, and interest (and in coordination with the Theology department and Provost’s Office) teaches courses in the Ministry program, with at most one course per semester.
- Provides pastoral counseling (non-professional) to members of the Trinity community (in partnership with the Office of Counseling Services and division of Student Life generally) and leads the community pastorally during significant moments in the life of the college.
- Meets and strategizes with the President and other senior leaders on campus;
- Participates in various College ceremonies, working with various members of the College community to craft ceremonies and celebrations that express the generously Reformed Christian mission of the college.
- Performs other duties, committees, and/or task forces as assigned by the President.
Oversees Campus Ministries office staff, student volunteers, and student workers.
The Interim Dean of the Chapel must demonstrate a mature and winsome Christian faith that is both generously Reformed and thoughtfully evangelical; must demonstrate enthusiastic alignment with the college’s intentional Christian Mission, its commitments to Unity and Diversity, and its embodiment of its Christian mission in its campus policies; must demonstrate experience in strategic leadership that creates the credibility to lead a campus ministries program; must be passionate about Christian higher education as an educational choice and professional vocation; must be enthusiastic about working collaboratively; must be active in worship and participation in a Christian church; and must have the character and persona that engenders the respect of the Trinity community.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree (terminal degree preferred (e.g., Ph.D., Th.D., D.Min., etc.));
- Ordination in a Christian denomination; and
- Minimum of 5 years of ministry training and experience, with a sizable portion of that experience in an ordained pastor/minister role with significant preaching responsibilities. (Campus ministry experience preferred.)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Ordination and licensure by a Christian denomination.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified and interested candidates should submit the following materials by following this link, Interim Dean of the Chapel | Trinity Christian College Job Opportunities (ultipro.com), all of which will be held in strict confidence:
- Cover letter that describes the candidate’s interest in and qualifications for the Interim Dean of the Chapel;
- CV detailing the candidate’s education and experience;
- Statement of Faith and reflection upon how the candidate’s faith aligns with Trinity’s Mission and Commitments to Unity and Diversity; and
- The names and full contact information of three references (who will not be contacted without first obtaining the candidate’s approval).
As an intentionally Christian college in the Reformed tradition, Trinity seeks to reflect the beautiful diversity of God’s world and the unity found within the worldwide, timeless Christian faith and as embodied in the global church. Women and persons from historically underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. Trinity is an equal opportunity employer.