Greetings in the name of Jesus Christ.
The Council of Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church is prayerfully searching for a part-time Interim Associate Pastor to join Senior Pastor Rev. Chad Steenwyk in the leadership and ministries of our congregation. This is anticipated to be a term call of 12 to 18 months as we decipher where the Lord would lead us longer term.
We are thankful for your interest. Attached is a job description that we ask you to read and review. Below are instructions on how to apply. We also encourage you to get to know our congregation and community a bit more. Information is up-to-date on our website, which you will find helpful.
www.centralavecrc.org – feel free to look around the site. Areas for your particular attention include: “About Us: What We Believe and Who We Are.” In that section please look at our beliefs, commitments, and convictions, as well as our history. The other sections on “Worship,” “Activities,” and “Outreach/Missions” will provide more specific detail.
Understanding this is a part-time position, we anticipate flexibility. Please do not hesitate to discuss with us your unique circumstances and how those could fit with this ministry opportunity. If you have specific questions you are asked to contact our Chair of Council, Todd Vander Lugt ([email protected] or 616-402-0252). You are welcome to contact our Senior Pastor, Rev. Chad Steenwyk with questions as well ([email protected] or 616-283-0703).
HOW TO APPLY
Email resume and references to [email protected]
Please include your response to the following questions:
- How did God save you – both generally and specifically to your life?
- What led you to ministry and why do you feel called to this ministry opportunity?
- What do you believe to be the goal of preaching specifically and pastoral ministry in general?
- In your opinion, what are the greatest challenges facing the church today?
Resumes will be accepted and reviewed as long as this posting is made public. We hope to have someone in place by July 1, 2021.
Our faithful Savior has blessed us with over 150 years as a congregation, and we believe He will continue to bless our future. Know you are being prayed over as we seek God’s direction and will our congregation and as you seek the same for yourself. We are eager to connect.
The Elders of Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church
STAFF POSITION: INTERIM ASSOCIATE PASTOR
RESPONSIBLE TO: Elders, with daily direction by the Senior Pastor
- An evident love for Christ
- An evident love for His Word
- An evident love for His people and an ability to work well with others
- An evidence of personal holiness
- Commitment to Spirit-led ministry, God-focused worship, and Christ-centered preaching
- Commitment to the Reformed Creeds and Confessions (Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession, and Canons of Dort) – or equivalent upon discussion.
- Agreement with the CRC’s Covenant of Office-Bearers and Central Avenue CRC’s policies and positions (for instance, Statement of Conviction).
- Some congregational ministry and preaching experience required.
- Minister of the Word or Commissioned Pastor ordination or licensure to exhort (preach)
TERM OF SERVICE:
For up to 12 to 18 months, with the possibility of extension. Final term of service will be determined between candidate and the elders. Part-time status anticipated to be at least 20 hours per week, but is open for discussion.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- PREACHING: The chief responsibility is to preach God’s Word to the congregation 2-3 times per month, with additional services possible if extra services are scheduled in a month or to cover Senior Pastor absences. Preaching schedule and sermon series will be determined in conjunction with the Senior Pastor. The preaching should be faithfully Christ-centered and rooted in the Word of God. This would include specific care for scripture, sound doctrine and a reformed confessional perspective. Preaching should reveal careful preparation and appropriately paced guidance of the congregation through the passage’s context, theological realities & practical implications. It should consider how a passage and context is relevant to the breadth of our congregational members.
- WORSHIP: It is to be expected to lead the congregation in the liturgy of the worship service when assigned to preach. At times, the Senior Pastor may lead worship when the Interim Associate Pastor preaches and vice versa. Schedule will be coordinated with the Senior Pastor. For services preached, Interim Associate Pastor will be responsible to form worship services in conjunction with the Music Director and under the oversight of the Senior Pastor.
- PASTORAL CARE AND DISCIPLESHIP: Interim Associate Pastor will be available as needed and available for pastoral calls and personal discipleship at the direction of the Senior Pastor. Interim Associate Pastor will be asked to visit a few from the shut-in list each month, as coordinated with the Senior Pastor.
- TEACHING: To develop, teach, and lead adult Bible study and educational groups as coordinated with the Education Committee and Senior Pastor. Be the primary teacher for one youth catechism class. Be available to help with other youth ministry as needed and available.
- EVANGELISM: Model and practice a desire to seek the lost and present the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- When in the church office, be available to meet with those who come to the church door, making necessary connections for assistance.
- Potential to participate in the summer mission/work project and Vacation Bible School program at some level
- ADMINISTRATION: To be part of the structure and function of the church:
- Attend monthly Elders’ meetings. Welcome to attend regular Council, Leadership Team, and committee meetings over term of service as desired.
- Maintain office hours each week which can be published to the congregation.
- Work with church office staff in day-to-day church activities. Keep Senior Pastor informed of approximate whereabouts.
- MINISTRY OF PRAYER: Maintain a disciplined ministry of personal devotion in Word and prayer for yourself and your family.
- Attend planned fellowship gatherings of the congregation, as available.
- Foster and maintain informal opportunities for fellowship and hospitality in the congregation.
- MINISTRY REVIEW: Ongoing ministry review will take place throughout the term of service by the elders.
- POSITION PARAMETERS:
Part-time position. Number of hours to be determined by Elders.
Pay scale to be determined by Elders in conjunction with the Finance Committee and proposed in the annual church budget.
Vacation and other benefit determined by Elders.
This is to be a term call with a set end date mutually agreed upon by candidate and elders with no guarantee of extension by either party.