Church: San Jose Christian Reformed Church
Position: Worship Director
Denomination: Christian Reformed
Church Size: 40-80 people
Job Type: Part-Time
Worship Style: Blended worship, with a combination of contemporary and traditional hymns and songs.
Purpose of Position: To guide the congregation in meaningful worship through music, liturgy, and the arts, while following the church’s Mission that we are lead by: “God’s Grace renewing a people to worship, community, and mission.”
Main Responsibilities: Guides the congregation in singing and worship (carefully planned the week prior) during the Sunday morning service, through leading a team of any combination of the following instrumentalists: bass, guitar, piano, keyboard, drums, additional vocalists, and occasionally organ. The Worship Director works closely with the Pastor to develop worship services that support and enhance the message of the day.
Expected duties include:
- Select, organize, and rehearse songs for each weekly service based on the theme of each week’s sermon.
- Send worship plan and lyrics to Secretary for preparing slides (by Wednesday each week)
- Review slides carefully each week for accuracy
- Send worship plan and music to Praise Team by Wednesday evening (may be sent electronically through worship software)
- Create schedule for musicians based on their availability, and communicate reminders when they’re scheduled to play/sing.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings. Work collaboratively with staff and council to pursue the mission of the church as an active part of the church staff.
- Guide the sound system and slide volunteers each week in managing the sound for each service, and determine the best setup for sound and audio equipment, stage usage, and so on.
- Practice with the Praise Team twice weekly (currently held on Thursday evenings from 7:30 to 9:00 and Sunday morning, prior to the service at 8:30 am).
- Meet at least once per year with the Council to review any concerns or suggestions regarding job performance.
- Form and meet quarterly with Worship Team, to plan for future services, especially special services such as Christian holidays, gather ideas, coordinate plans, and so on.
- With the Worship Team, create an annual budget request and plan covering anticipated expenses as well as events or other related items. Submit this budget request and plan to Council by November 30 each year.
- Plan the liturgical elements of each worship service within the reformed perspective. (https://www.reformedworship.org)
- Be the point person for the shifting of church calendar seasons.
- Generate new and creative ideas for worship experiences.
- Pursue new types of music and instruments.
- Be an active participant in the life of the church.
- Has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- At least two years of experience in leading worship, vocalists, and musicians.
- Proficient in either playing piano and/or guitar with the ability to lead singing while playing.
- Relational skills and an enthusiastic presence for leading worship.
- Skilled in the use of technology used for sound, lighting, slides, and planning.
- The Worship Director will be accountable to the Pastor.
- Average of 20 hours of service per week required
- Compensation commensurate with experience
Time off: Council realizes that time off is needed for balance and health. It is expected the Worship Leader will not miss more than 7 Sundays per year. When possible, we will ask for the Worship Leader’s assistance in securing a substitute leader. As well as working with the substitute to plan the service. We understand there may be unexpected circumstances or illness. Requests for time off will be handled on a case-by-case basis, with as much warning as possible.