In 2012, a variety of organizations worked together to launch an international day of charitable giving. A new tradition, called #GivingTuesday, was born.
The idea behind this initiative was to cut through some of the consumerism and commercialism that had come to dominate U.S. Thanksgiving and Christmas. In other words, after a day of feasting and in the midst of Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping, people were asked to pause and think about others.
If you are like me, six years after the launch of this idea, the hype around #GivingTuesday is starting to get overwhelming. My inbox is already getting full of Cyber Monday deals and #GivingTuesday appeals. To help you cut through the clutter…at least for #GivingTuesday…here are some links to various CRCNA ministries that you can choose to support:
- Resonate Global Mission is encouraging people to support a missionary on #GivingTuesday.
- Back to God Ministries International suggests that people can use #GivingTuesday as an opportunity to support their work to spread the Gospel. You can also donate specifically towards support of The Today devotional.
- World Renew is focusing their #GivingTuesday effort around providing hope for women and girls in times of disaster.
- Or visit crcna.org/donate to give a gift to one or more of the following organizations:
- Aboriginal Ministry
- The Banner
- Canadian Ministries
- Centre for Public Dialogue
- Chaplaincy & Care Ministry
- Disability Concerns
- Dwell Assist program
- Ecumenical Relations
- Faith Formation Ministries
- Leadership Development: Women & Ethnic Ministry
- Office of Social Justice
- Pastor Church Resources
- Race Relations
- Raise Up Global Ministries
- Safe Church Ministry
- Worship Ministries
Social media around #GivingTuesday can be overwhelming, but I'm grateful for the opportunity this day provides to focus on giving as a way to express our gratitude to God. Do you participate in #GivingTuesday? What causes are your favorite?