Every September I experience the following:
- Delight when I gather with my family for a picture in the pumpkin patch.
- Astonishment when I discover snowsuits for sale at Costco.
- Anticipation as I register to attend one of my favorite conferences for faith formation leaders.
Chances are you’ve also experienced the fun of being corralled into a photo with the people you love and the shock of seeing next season’s clothes for sale when the current season has just begun, but I’m willing to wager that you haven’t experienced the excitement of selecting workshops for the Association for Presbyterian Church Educators’ Annual Event, a faith formation conference designed specifically for both paid and volunteer Reformed ministry leaders.
In fact, unless you read the post I wrote about this gathering last year, it’s likely that you’ve never even heard of this event. And I get that. The name “Annual Event” doesn’t have me running outside shouting “Start the car!” either. What has me packing my bags each February is the conference content and the opportunity to connect with hundreds of other Reformed ministry leaders to be encouraged and equipped for another year of ministry.
Here’s some of what I’m looking forward to at the 2019 event:
- John Roberto’s pre-event workshop “Welcome to the 2020s: Envisioning the Future of Faith Formation”
- plenary sessions on
- the role worship plays in faith formation.
- how participating in mission and service shapes faith.
- the changing language of faith formation and Christian education.
- intergenerational faith formation.
- the opportunity to experience a different "style" of worship each day with event music leader Hugh Donnelly.
- over 70 ministry-leader-led workshops on faith formation topics.
- a marketplace where I get to pick up and peruse the latest and best ministry resources.
- mealtime conversations with ministry leaders from a variety of contexts.
- salt spray and sunshine (have I mentioned that we’ll be gathering in Galveston, Texas?).
- and more!
Every ministry leader in your church would be blessed by attending this conference.