“What is your only comfort in life and in death?”
A new course called The Big Question dives deep into Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 1 in four easy-to-lead sessions.
This short, informal study combines faith formation practices with catechism exploration so that heart and head work together to grow faith. The format requires little advance preparation and can be taught by anyone who is comfortable leading a group.
Published by Faith Formation Ministries under the Faith Alive imprint, The Big Question is the first new catechism-related resource released by the CRCNA in five years.
While the audience is primarily teens, the sessions can be used in a variety of ways:
- as an introduction to the usual catechism class
- as a four-session youth group module
- as a pre-profession of faith study
- as a special intergenerational series for teens and adults.
Using The Big Question in an intergenerational setting that combines the life experience of adults with the searching questions of teens could be a memorable and meaningful exercise in building faith. And exploring “our only comfort” would be especially appropriate following a traumatic event in the life of a congregation or community.
This study has a downloadable leader’s guide. No other materials are required except for basic supplies listed in the session descriptions. Sessions are designed to run for about an hour and include
- an opening activity
- catechism exploration activity options ranging from contemplative to active
- a time for sharing faith stories relevant to the topic of the session
- a printable take-home sheet with thought/discussion questions, Scripture readings, and a suggested spiritual practice related to the session.