Something about January makes me want to clean and get organized. It’s kind of like spring cleaning, except that spring is a few months away.
It occurred to me that now is also a great time for spring cleaning your missions program. Churches have so many communications channels that it’s good to take an audit every now and then to make sure everything is up to date. You’ll want to make your own checklist, of course, but here are some ideas to get you started:
- Are photos up to date?
- Are all current supported missions projects displayed (and any no longer being supported removed)?
- Have posters for past events been removed?
- Does anything need refreshing?
- Are brochures and prayer cards orderly and neat?
- If you list missionaries in your bulletin, does the bulletin producer have an up to date list?
- Do you have a schedule for including mission updates?
- Is the list of missionaries current?
- Do you have permission to post their names on your website? (especially for those working in security-conscious countries)
- Have you provided a way for people to get email newsletters directly from the missionary?
Now that everything is up to date, what are some creative ways in which you can promote missions in your congregation? Share your ideas in the comments below!