Last weekend I had the privilege of meeting with representatives from five churches currently involved in global partnerships through World Renew, five churches that are thinking about getting involved, and seven international staff. It was amazing to hear about what God is doing in the various churches here in North America and in churches overseas. What diversity!
When churches contact me wondering how they can increase their involvement in missions, my first response is always, "What are your church's unique giftings?" Interestingly, many churches have never talked about this before, either in their missions committee or anywhere else, especially if they have not had to call a pastor in awhile.
The following are excellent documents to pull together for your missions or outreach committee to review at the beginning of any planning process:
- Missions policy and strategy documents
- List of missionaries, their ministry, agency
- List of current/recent missions projects
- Missions budget
- History of missions involvement
- Church budget
- Church vision/purpose/mission
- Key ministries inside and outside the church
- Inventory of congregation’s interests, skills, experience, etc.
- Any other church demographics available (average attendance, % in various age categories, education, % new to church in last 5 years)
- Any area demographic information (which nationalities are represented in your area)
Has your church used any of the above when planning your missions involvement or making decisions?