Synod has designated the second Wednesday of March (March 14, 2018) as the Annual Day of Prayer. All CRC congregations are requested to assemble to ask for God’s blessing upon the world, our nations, crops and industry, and the church worldwide. Councils are reminded that if it is judged that the observance of the Annual Day of Prayer can be more meaningfully observed in conjunction with the National Day of Prayer (U.S.), they have the right to change the date of service accordingly (Acts of Synod 1996, p. 578). The National Day of Prayer (U.S.) is Thursday, May 3, 2018.
Links to Prayer Resources
When planning your prayer service you may use any of these suggested services in their entirety or select and adapt individual items from multiple services.
- We Live and Work in God’s World: Prayer Service for Crops and Industry
- Our Father in Heaven: A Prayer Service Using the Lord’s Prayer and the Heidelberg Catechism
- Hear, O Lord, and answer: A service of prayer
- Let Justice Roll: Worship Planning Resources with a Justice Theme
- Community-Wide Worship
- A Service for Prayer Day: Combining the Spoken Word with Visual Images
- Prayers and Liturgies for worship from multiple CRC sources
- Worship Resources and Prayers for Refugees and Immigrants
- Learn the Lord’s Prayer with All Ages
- Prayers of the People section, pp. 173 - 235
Lift Up Your Hearts (hymnal)
- Offering our Prayers section (#884-#921) contains prayers to be spoken or sung
The attached document contains scripture passages and prayers from The Worship Sourcebook, 2nd edition that can be used to prepare a prayer service. Note that these are just a few of the many prayers and readings in this resource that may be used to plan a prayer service.