Mark Matlock recently posted on the Youth Specialties website the "5 reasons why the church NEEDS youth ministry".
The video in the posting captures a bit of his passion for this, but for those of you who do not have time to watch the video, below are his reasons why the church needs youth ministries
- Youth Ministry is vital to helping teens integrate into the larger intergenerational community of the church
- Youth Ministry resists the status quo, helping a church stay relevant in a changing culture
- Youth Ministry focuses on inviting those who are not already part of the church into the deeper narrative of Gods plan for humankind
- Youth Ministry reminds the church that teens are not marginalized members of the body, but are co-creators and conspirators in the divine work of the church, restoring life on earth as it is in Heaven
- Youth Ministry helps the church focus on the way of Jesus which goes beyond tradition, dogma and ritual
Mark is sharing some insightful reasons for youth ministry but it does challenge us with the following questions.
- If we agree that Youth Ministry should do these things, do we see them in our local church settings?
- If not, can these "reasons" be used to help us evaluate or even set some direction for our ministries?
Please share your thoughts on this. If you can think of any other reasons not included in this list why churches need youth ministries, please share them as well.