Drayton Christian Reformed Church is a Christ-centered fellowship led by God’s Word and Spirit to share His gifts of grace and hope. Drayton Christian Reformed Church is growing together in faith by joyfully serving God in all we do, learning and sharing His Word with others, encouraging the use of our spiritual gifts and caring for each other.
Position Description: Associate Pastor
Position Summary: The Drayton CRC feels called to “share God’s grace and hope” by a team ministry consisting of one full-time Pastor, one full-time Associate Pastor and an Administrative Assistant. Though there is overlap in some responsibilities, to encourage inter-generational ministry, each position has a unique emphasis.
Position Emphasis: Generally, the Associate Pastor’s ministry is more intentional about engaging children, youth, and young adults. Generally, the Pastor’s ministry involves intentionality to administrative work and providing leadership.
The Associate Pastor must:
- Give evidence of a sincere commitment to Jesus Christ and a Reformed worldview.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to the vision and mission of Drayton CRC.
- Possess great love for children, youth and young adults.
- Have a Master of Divinity or Bachelor’s Degree; ordained or eligible for ordination as a Commissioned Pastor within Classis Huron.
- Thrive on responsibility and servant leadership.
- Have strong communication and self-motivation skills.
- Be able to work in a team environment.
- Be an effective change agent who can help the church adapt to changing ministry approaches.
- Nurture pastoral relationships with children and young people both within our church and community including those away for study or other reasons.
- Engage a team approach to pastoral care together with the Pastor.
- Develop and grow a culture of mentorship for youth leadership and evangelism.
- Engage in personal evangelism.
- Teach one high school catechism class annually.
- Teach the Profession of Faith class jointly with the Pastor.
- Offer pre-marriage conversations to young couples.
- Share in the leading of worship services.
Position Emphasis Responsibilities:
- Support and provide resources to each of the children, youth and young adult ministries.
- Publish and communicate program or activities details through various means.
- Provide support for researching and organizing mission opportunities for the congregation.
- Serve as a member of the Education Committee to help provide leadership and receive support for ministry plans.
- Serve as a member on the Worship Committee to help plan for and lead worship services that involve children, youth and young adults, provide connectivity to ministry plans and express unity within the congregation. Musical skills would be an asset.
- Work with the Pastor and leaders to connect children, youth and young adults to the various ministries of the church, providing opportunities for participation.
- Attend and report at monthly Church Council meetings.
- Attend and report at monthly Elder’s meetings
- Participate in weekly staff meetings together with the Pastor and Administrative Assistant.
- Communicate ministry supply needs to the Administrative Assistant.
- Communicate ministry plans, needs and opportunities to parents and families.
- Help develop and create the Worship Service Schedule, including preaching schedule, with the Pastor and Administrative Assistant.
- Engage and represent resource ministries such as Faith Formation Ministries of the CRCNA.
- Actively engage the Drayton Area Churches Ministerial at monthly meetings.
Accountability: The position of Associate Pastor is accountable on a daily basis to the Pastor. An annual performance evaluation will be coordinated by members of the Personnel Committee. Feedback will be processed by the Personnel Committee in conversation with the Associate Pastor.
Terms: Compensation will include the annual salary, housing allowance, four weeks of vacation, one Sunday off per month, and two weeks for continuing education each year. Allowances will be provided for ministry-related expenses.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential nature and level of ministry or work performed by the person fulfilling this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to Lisa at [email protected].