Through both training and direct field ministry experience, learn how to lead and participate in effective Young Life ministry with a church partnership.
Job Title: FRC/Young Life Church Partner
Reports to: Young Life Area Director/Church Pastor
Department: RTD Field Ministry
Salaried or Hourly: Salaried; raise part of support. Full time.
Exempt or Nonexempt: Exempt
Supervisory (# of staff supervised): None
Job Titles Supervised: Volunteers
Mission / Authority
Through both training and direct field ministry experience, learn how to lead and participate in effective Young Life ministry.
Essential Prerequisites (from Young Life’s Bylaws – Article VII):
“Because of Young Life’s exclusive Christian purposes of evangelism and discipleship as set forth in its Articles of Incorporation and in these Bylaws, and to reflect what has always been and will continue to be the position of Young Life, specifically the Christian belief that each and every employee and volunteer of the corporation should minister as a servant of God whose primary responsibility is proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ and, as such, is an integral part of the Christian mission and ministry of the corporation, Young Life shall only employ individuals or enlist volunteer leaders who: (a) profess a belief in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and Lord; and (b) subscribe to the statements and policies required of all Young Life staff, including the Young Life Statement of Faith. Therefore, employees and volunteers of Young Life, during working and nonworking hours, shall: (i) be ready, willing and able to fulfill such ministry functions as may be required by the organization; (ii) refrain from conduct and statements that detract from the biblical standards taught and supported by Young Life, and (iii) abide by all policies and practices of Young Life including, without limitation, those related to religious belief or ministry activities.”
Spiritual Development — “Following Jesus” includes prayer and spiritual disciplines, fellowship, growth and health and church relationships.
- Develop a yearly personal growth plan that fosters a vibrant spiritual life including time for solitude, retreat, reflection, prayer and a sincere commitment to understanding God’s Word.
- Seek and maintain relationships and disciplines, in the context of active participation in a church community.
- Actively participate in the spiritual life of the Young Life community.
- Lead teams and individuals in spiritual development.
Leadership Development — “Equipping leaders, committee and staff” includes key volunteer care, recruiting, team building and training, supervision and vision casting.
- Meet with your volunteer leaders and area leadership on a regular basis.
- Learn to recruit and train new leaders to build a leadership team that reflects the community.
- Model excellence in contact work, club, Campaigners and camping to other leaders.
- Assist in training leaders, team leaders and committee how to work effectively in teams and develop a yearly ministry strategy.
Resource Development — “Fueling the ministry” includes events, major donor care, public relations (branding) and TDS team.
- Raise financial support as directed and maintain good donor care practices.
- Communicate ministry updates and progress to personal donor partners.
- Observe and learn to network and develop strategic relationships with key adults in the community, including: principals, pastors, parents, potential committee members as assigned by the area director.
- Assist with camp fundraisers.
Direct Ministry — “Proclaiming and modeling” includes contact work, club, Campaigners and camp.
- Actively engage in all three levels of contact work.
- Lead a team to plan and conduct a new or existing Young Life club and Campaigners/discipleship ministry with excellence.
- Lead a team to implement a summer and school-season camping strategy for a ministry.
- Serve on a summer assignment at a Young Life camp each year.
Ministry Support — “Taking care of business” includes accounting, administration, communication (internal), data management and strategic plan.
- Adhere to all Young Life policies and procedures and maintain professionalism concerning office hours, dress, conduct and time management.
- Manage finances with stewardship, accountability and transparency using the mission-wide applications.
- Maintain accurate information on kids, leaders and donors for area records.
- Provide clear, prompt, appropriate and professional communication to everyone involved in ministry.
- Set yearly strategic ministry plan and initiatives to reach every kid; review them on a regular basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned and congruent with gifts, experience and area needs.
- None is required.
- RTD training events such as New Staff Training, Winter Training, Focus Conferences and Young Life University are available on a request basis with approval of the regional director.
- There is no mission-wide regional-level training curriculum.
- At the regional director’s prerogative, certain regional training events may be required.
- Actively engage in training provided by area leadership.
- Individualized training supervised by the area director designed to develop personal spiritual maturity and enhance personal character.
- Individualized program to learn and gain competency in ministry skills (e.g., The 5 C’s).
- Become familiar with area strategy and ministry health as assigned by the area director.
- Introduction to personal fund-raising principles including familiarity with Basic Elements for Part-time staff.
- College degree preferred.
- Will include the extremes of a camp assignment, i.e. heat/cold, dirt, long hours and the physical demands of hiking, horseback riding, boating, etc. Staff person must be able to handle these conditions.
- Role will include working with First Reformed Church in Oak Harbor, WA.
- Expectation of attending church services and support the youth development program at the church.
- Half of salary will come from First Reformed Church as well as allocation for medical benefits.
Qualifications Required for the Job:
- Proven relational skills with both kids and adults.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Please respond with cover letter and resume to: [email protected].