East Saugatuck Church, located just south of Holland, MI, is seeking a full-time lead pastor. The ideal candidate will be gifted in Biblical preaching and have a heart for discipleship, community outreach, and congregational care.
The Lead Pastor of East Saugatuck Church will lead the church in faith formation and spreading the gospel. Sermons should be engaging and practical, speaking to our lives. We desire a Lead Pastor who is a servant leader and team builder, being able to motivate and work with staff, Council, and members to grow in faith, build a sense of family, and reach out to the community. The Lead Pastor will help us welcome and enfold seekers and new members into the congregation. This leader, with the wisdom and discernment of the Holy Spirit, will listen and lead in setting the future mission and vision of our church.
- Provide dynamic and applicable preaching of God’s word on Sunday mornings and special services (Good Friday, Thanksgiving, Christmas).
- Work with the Worship Pastor to coordinate sermon series and seasonal celebrations, offering and implementing a creative approach to worship planning and leading.
- Lead and promote spiritual formation within the church.
- Help in scheduling, planning and teaching New Members/ Profession of Faith classes.
- Attend Wednesday night dinners and participate in the role of teaching adult education opportunities.
- Partnering with elders, deacons and other members to provide pastoral care for the sick, elderly, and suffering.
- Offer prayer and counseling to people who face challenges and difficult circumstances.
- Be available and accessible to members of the congregation through the use of regular office hours, appointments, and visitation.
- Conduct funerals, weddings, and provide related pastoral care including premarital counseling.
Administration and Leadership
- Articulate and promote the vision and mission of our church to the congregation and community.
- Attend and report at meetings of Elders and Council.
- Lead staff and hold staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Provide general guidance to Ministry Teams.
- Help build community within the church.
- Lead in the training for Elders, Deacons, and other leaders in the church annually.
- Promote inclusive, participatory, and intergenerational ministries encouraging members to use their gifts to serve the church and help others grow in faith.
- Carry out the mission and vision of the church by reaching out to our community with the love of Christ.
- Support the local outreach ministries that the church offers in the community (Hand to Hand, Kid’s Hope, etc.) and the outreach activities at East Saugatuck Church (Wednesday Night Dinners and activities).
- Provide prayer and encouragement to the missionaries we support both locally and around the world.
Denominational / Classical Responsibilities
- Represent the church at Classis meetings.
- Perform the duties of Classical and Synodical functions to which you are appointed, subject to Council approval.
- The Lead Pastor is accountable to the Elders in doctrine, life, and pastoral duties and is required to submit reports regularly.
- An annual performance evaluation will be given.
- Master of Divinity (MDiv) based in Reformed Christian theology.
- Pastoral ministry experience (5+ years) in a medium or large Reformed church.
- Demonstrated love of God and the church, and be a person of prayer.
- Committed to ongoing personal, spiritual, and professional growth.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Dynamic preaching which is Biblical, clear, and relevant to both believers and non-believers.
- Visionary leader who can work with the Council, staff, and congregation to define and implement a vision.
- Pastoral heart willing and able to come alongside to comfort and counsel hurting, confused, and broken people.
- Ability to interact with people outside the church and to promote the mission and vision of the church.
To apply, send your resume to [email protected].