Big news for deacons! The Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRCNA) and the Reformed Church in America (RCA) have teamed up to produce an ongoing newsletter for deacons.
Over the last couple of years the role and place of deacons in the church has been under study and review. Several points are becoming clear:
- Deacons are asking for clarity around their leadership role at all levels of church structure.
- Deacons are recognizing their role in connecting the church in meaningful ways with community.
- Deacons desire shared accountability with elders for achieving the vision of the local church.
- Deacons recognize that their role is less about doing on behalf of the church and more about equipping its members.
- Deacons recognize that continuity of leadership is necessary to accomplish the diaconal mandate.
This newsletter endeavors to assist deacons in responding to these and other challenges.
This first edition (attached below) is focused on the question of discipleship. Deacons often ask how they can make sure that their ministry, especially to people outside the church, is ministering in both word and deed. This edition provides some key resources to that and other questions.
These "For Deacons" newsletters are sent to every church. So if your deacons didn't receive it, ask your church office to forward it to them.
If you're not currently a deacon, you can also subscribe here.
Feedback welcome in the comments below or email Andy Ryskamp at email@example.com.