When people of all ages have opportunities to serve together locally and/or globally — helping others, seeking justice and sharing God’s love — wonderful things start to happen:
- Faith is formed as people work side by side in shared experiences, praying together and encouraging each other.
- All ages recognize that as followers of Jesus they are called by God to serve others and seek justice and that they are equipped by God to serve in ways that are valuable and important.
- Busy families spend quality time living out their faith together.
- Relationships are built, generation gaps narrow and a sense of teamwork is fostered.
At Faith Formation Ministries we believe so strongly in the benefits of intergenerational service that we devoted a whole section of our online Intergenerational Church toolkit to serving together. When you open the toolkit and click on the Serving section you’ll be able to access these great tools:
- an Intergenerational Service Survey to help your church build upon its strengths and identify its weaknesses in terms of an intentionally intergenerational approach to service,
- a list of 25 Ideas for Intergenerational Service (also included below),
- a link to Changed for Life, a free curriculum to help short-term mission teams and their hosts craft a well-organized mission experience that will be meaningful for everyone involved,
- practical guidelines for intergenerational service,
- inspiring stories about ways that churches are including all ages in service projects,
- and more!
Have story to share about a way your church is combining generations to serve together? We’d love to hear it! Email us at [email protected].