Safe Church Ministry will again be hosting webinars for this year. If you missed the webinars from 2020, you can check out the recordings and resources here. The theme for this year is "On Being a Safe Church." There are many overtones to the Abuse Awareness Sunday theme for this year: Safe Church Ministry: Not just a Policy, a Way of Being the Church.
Abuse never happens in a vacuum. Whether it is sexual abuse, emotional, spiritual, or physical abuse. There are always warning signs, patterns and ways we are with one another that affect others. So what does it look like for each of us to be a living stone, being built into a spiritual house that is for the healing of the nations?
In these webinars, we will be hearing from a variety of people that will inspire us to wonder together at how best we can create healthy and safe cultures in our congregations and communities. We hope these conversations help us to form relationships and cultures that:
- seek to make right where wrong has occurred,
- empower each other to respect other image bearers of God,
- enable processes that restore trust and reciprocity
- radiate care, compassion, and empathy which is at the heart of Jesus, the fruits of the spirit, and the gospel, the good news for all creation.
We look forward to journeying with you as we wonder deeply with one another about how we be with one another in a way that leads to restoration.
We are planning each webinar (tentatively) for the second Wednesday of each month at 12 pm Eastern Time, 9 am Pacific. The list below will be updated throughout the year:
- What does it mean that human beings are made in the image of God and created with inherent dignity and worth?
- How does this impact the way we think about and treat each other?
- What do we owe those around us because they are image-bearers of God?
June 9th @ 12p: Webinar On Being Restorative Congregations In the Aftermath of COVID with Anne Martin M.A. Ph.D. (Director of Restorative Practices) and Mark Vander Vennen M.A., M.Ed, R.S.W. (Executive Director of Shalem Mental Health).
July 14th @ 12p: Webinar with Dr. Scot Mcknight, Author of The Church Called Tov: Forming a Goodness Culture that Resists Abuses of Power and Promotes Healing
August 11th @ 12p
September 8th @ 12p
October 13th @ 12p
November 10th @ 12p
December 8th @ 12p