CRC Safe Church Ministry is offering mini-grants of up to $1,000 each to safe church classis coordinators or team members, for planning educational or team training events that fit within our mission of equipping congregations in abuse awareness, prevention, and response.
This mini-grant opportunity will allow a safe church classis coordinator or team member to request grant funds up to $1,000 to help defray costs for hosting an equipping event or for a special project that furthers the mission of Safe Church Ministry at the classis or regional level. The funds may be used for presenter fees, travel, lodging, meals, video production costs, etc. The funds may also be used to pay an event coordinator up to $300 for coordinating the event. All applications are due by January 15, 2019. Notification of approval will be received by Jan 31. Events and/or projects must be completed within the 2019 calendar year.
Funds will be distributed as reimbursement as soon as possible after an event has taken place or project has been completed. A signed contract with each speaker or presenter, and receipts for all expenses, are required for distribution of funds. Therefore, you will need to work with an individual, a church, or a classis that is willing to fund the event up front—then the mini-grant funds will be distributed as a reimbursement to the funder. All mini-grant applications will be selected for approval at the sole discretion of the Safe Church Ministry staff.
Events most likely to receive mini-grants will possess:
- An event planner or project manager that has demonstrated experience with safe church ministry and/or planning events, and is willing to work hard to promote the event and follow through with necessary details.
- Evidence of support from local and regional collaborators, such as congregations, pastors, ministry leaders, and/or organizations in the field of abuse prevention and response.
- Use of known and respected presenters, including those recommended by CRC Safe Church Ministry; and/or events that include training in the Advisory Panel Process (APP).
- A theme or purpose for the event that fits well with the mission of the CRC and of Safe Church Ministry, and also meets identified needs in the community where the event will be held.
The Application will Request the Following Information:
- Name of event or project coordinator; Address; Phone; Email; Church and Classis
- Title and Description of Event or project (Please limit to a paragraph or two)
- Host Site for event – Please include address
- Collaborative Partners – Please include the nature of each partnership in a sentence or two
- Name(s) of Presenter(s) for event (include title and organization as applicable)
- Estimated Overall Budget –(include specific costs to be covered by mini-grant funds, and responsible party for remainder of budgeted expenses)
Apply for your Safe Church mini-grant below.
Recommended facilitators for equipping events:
- Dove’s Nest - Kathy Haack (firstname.lastname@example.org) - (Circle of Grace, abuse prevention policies, or child sexual abuse)
- Mennonite Central Committee (Canada) - (Circle of Grace or other topics)
- Protect Young Eyes - Chris McKenna - (Pornography and its effect on children, tools to keep safe on the internet)
- Samaritan SafeChurch - Linda Crockett – (Child Sexual Abuse, Survivors and Allies as Leaders, Creating Safe Spaces, etc)
- Shalem Mental Health Network - Anne Martin – (Restorative Practices and Circles)
- American Bible Society Trauma Healing - (Funds may also be used to send someone to an already scheduled Trauma Healing equipping event)
- GRACE - Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment
- Hope of Survivors - Samantha Nelson - (Clergy sexual abuse)
- Plan to Protect - (Policy for abuse prevention in, child abuse - in Canada mostly)
- Local Organizations! Ideas include domestic violence shelters, child protective service agencies, rape crisis centers, offices on aging, etc. It’s great to get connected to your community!
- APP Training - This is a 6 hour training in the Advisory Panel Process led by Safe Church staff or selected safe church team members
- Or contact Safe Church! We can help explore other options and answer questions.