CRC Safe Church Ministry is offering mini-grants of up to $1,200 each to safe church classis coordinators for planning educational or team training events that fit within our mission of equipping congregations in abuse awareness, prevention, and response.
This mini-grant opportunity will allow a safe church classis coordinator to request grant funds up to $1,200 to help defray costs for hosting an equipping event or for a special project that furthers the mission of Safe Church Ministry at the classis or regional level. The funds may be used for presenter fees, travel, lodging, meals, video production costs, etc. The funds may also be used to pay an event coordinator up to $200 as a stipend for coordinating the event. All applications are due by January 13, 2020. Notification of approval will be received by Jan 31. Events and/or projects are to be completed within the 2020 calendar year.
Funds will be distributed as reimbursement as soon as possible after an event has taken place or project has been completed. A signed contract with each speaker or presenter, and receipts for all expenses, are required for distribution of funds. Therefore, you will need to work with the classis, or with a sponsoring church that is willing to fund the event up front—then the mini-grant funds will be distributed as a reimbursement to the funder. All mini-grant applications will be selected for approval at the sole discretion of the Safe Church Ministry staff.
Events most likely to receive mini-grants will possess:
- An event planner or project manager that has demonstrated experience with safe church ministry and/or planning events, and is willing to work hard to promote the event and follow through with necessary details.
- Evidence of support from local and regional collaborators, such as churches, a classis or a group of classes.
- Use of known and respected presenters, including those recommended by CRC Safe Church Ministry; and/or events that include training in the Advisory Panel Process (APP).
- A theme or purpose for the event that fits well with the mission of the CRC and of Safe Church Ministry, and also meets identified needs in the community where the event will be held.
The application will request the following information:
- Name of event or project coordinator; address; phone; email; church and classis
- Title and description of event or project
- Host site for the event
- Collaborative partners
- Name(s) of presenter(s) for event
- Estimated overall budget
Apply for your Safe Church mini-grant using the form below.
Recommended facilitators for equipping events (in random order):
- Dove’s Nest - Kathy Haack ([email protected]) - (Circle of Grace, abuse prevention policies, or child sexual abuse)
- Mennonite Central Committee (Canada) - (Circle of Grace or other topics)
- Darkness to Light – Training adults and communities to prevent child sexual abuse. Available in all 50 states in the U.S. as well as many places in Canada, and resources are available in many languages as well!
- Protect Young Eyes - Chris McKenna - (Pornography and its effect on children, tools to keep safe on the internet)
- Samaritan SafeChurch - Linda Crockett – (Child Sexual Abuse, Survivors and Allies as Leaders, Creating Safe Spaces, etc)
- Shalem Mental Health Network - Anne Martin – (Restorative Practices and Circles)
- GRACE - Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment
- Hope of Survivors - Samantha Nelson - (Clergy sexual abuse)
- Plan to Protect - (Policy for abuse prevention in, child abuse - in Canada mostly)
- Local Organizations! Ideas include domestic violence shelters, child protective service agencies, rape crisis centers, offices on aging, police departments, etc. It’s great to get connected to your community!
- Advisory Panel Process Training - This is a 6-hour (minimum) training specifically for this one process for use in cases of allegations against a church leader. It’s led by Safe Church staff or approved volunteers
- Or contact Safe Church! We can help explore other options and answer questions.
Note: Safe Church staff may also be available as presenters on a variety of topics, or as trainers for the Advisory Panel Process – All expenses for Safe Church staff are covered, so will not need to be added to your budget (depending on approval and availability)
Questions? Contact Safe Church ([email protected]) or leave a comment below.