Skip to main content

Who can conduct baptisms in the CRC? We have two Pastors on staff who are not native to the CRC and haven't yet transferred. The CRC website just says "in the Christian Reformed Church, baptism is performed by an ordained minister of the Word or commissioned pastor."


Good afternoon...

My comments assume there is some missing information that might be helpful in providing an answer. The question indicates that the church is "technically" vacant, as per Church Order, even though it has two pastors. My assumption is that these pastors are not yet ordained CRC pastors.  As such, the classis to which the church belongs should have assigned a church counselor to provide advice on the calling of a pastor; and classical pulpit supply, if requested by the church to deal with baptisms, communion, etc. I would recommend your church council contact the appointed church counselor to seek their advice on how to more forward on this matter. Alternatively, classis is also required to appoint church visitors to each church for advice and counsel. Your church council could also seek their advice.

Let's Discuss

We love your comments! Thank you for helping us uphold the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.

Login or Register to Comment

We want to hear from you.

Connect to The Network and add your own question, blog, resource, or job.

Add Your Post