The theme for the 2021 webeinar series was "On Being a Safe Church." If you missed the webinars from 2020, you can check out the recordings and resources here.
Abuse never happens in a vacuum. Whether it is sexual abuse, emotional, spiritual, or physical abuse. There are always warning signs, patterns and ways we are with one another that affect others. So what does it look like for each of us to be a living stone, being built into a spiritual house that is for the healing of the nations?
We heard from a variety of people that helped inspire us to create healthy and safe cultures in our congregations and communities. We hope these conversations help the church to form relationships and cultures that:
- seek to make right where wrong has occurred,
- empower each other to respect other image bearers of God,
- enable processes that restore trust and reciprocity
- radiate care, compassion, and empathy which is at the heart of Jesus, the fruits of the spirit, and the gospel, the good news for all creation.
Recordings available from each of the following:
June 9th @ 12p: Webinar On Being Restorative Congregations In the Aftermath of COVID with Anne Martin M.A. Ph.D. (Director of Restorative Practices) and Mark Vander Vennen M.A., M.Ed, R.S.W. (Executive Director of Shalem Mental Health).
September 8th @ 7p: Safe Church Town Hall on September 8th at 7p Eastern
December 8th @ 12p: December Webinar: Ways of Creating a Culture of Goodness featuring a panel of guests who are staff members of Christian Reformed Church Justice Ministries:
- Vivi Cornejo, Office of Race Relations
- Andrew Oppong, Office of Social Justice
- Cindy Stover, Centre for Public Dialogue
- Amanda Benckhuysen, Safe Church Ministry
- Lindsay Wieland Capel, Disability Concerns