There are 154 CRCNA-endorsed chaplains who serve in hospitals, hospices, long-term care settings, correctional institutions, the military, and workplaces. These chaplains provide pastoral care in five provinces and 28 states, as well as Belgium, Germany, Japan, and the Sinai Peninsula. Chaplaincy and Care Ministry helps provide endorsement, training, and supervision to these men and women. We also assist seminary students and pastors in their discernment process.
In addition, Chaplaincy and Care represented the church to other organizations and institutions to include the National Conference on the Ministry of the Armed Forces, the Canadian Association of Spiritual Care, the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, the Association of Professional Chaplains, the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education, and the Department of Defense.
• This past fiscal year, 10 new chaplains were endorsed for this specialized ministry.
• Currently 10 percent of CRC ordained clergy serve as chaplains.
• The Annual Chaplains Training met virtually instead of in person, with 105 chaplains and others interested in chaplaincy participating from their homes and workplaces throughout North America.
• Seven chaplains were assisted with $11,701 in training grants for Clinical Pastoral Education for a total of 700 hours of specialized chaplaincy training.
• 52 weekly Zoom gatherings were held, averaging 10 to 15 chaplains in each meeting, for support and mutual encouragement through times of devotions and prayer.