Want a handy way to run a pre-flight check before serving as a deacon? Want to start a good discussion with fellow deacons? Want to have a discussion at deacons' meeting about "how we're doing"? Here are a few thought-provoking questions!
Just wondering, as I look inside my own heart.... are there clear signs there that say "this is a deacon's heart"? Here's a check list I found helpful.
- Is Jesus the Christ being formed within me? (Gal 4:19)
- Do I have a regular routine with Jesus - both listening to him and talking to him?
- Do I make it a point to encourage my fellow deacons on a regular basis?
- Do I take time to come to meetings prayed up and with my homework done?
- Is my checkbook consistent with what I say about stewardship, generosity, and the church budget?
- Do I help to assist the pastor to preach on biblical stewardship in a way that fits our congregation?
- Do I and my deacon colleagues have a good handle on the gifts and needs of the members and the community?
- Have I checked with Deacon Network readers to see what I need to add to my check list?