Position Title: Grand Rapids Bridge Year (GRBY) Director
Position Type: Full Time, Salary
Position Hours: 40+ hours/week
Position Pay: Starting at $17/hr
Purpose: To oversee and develop both the Grand Rapids Bridge Year programming and team, and the Grand Rapids Immersion program and team. Grand Rapids Bridge Year and Grand Rapids Immersion are discipleship initiatives of Bridge Street Ministries, an urban Christian Community Development organization with an emphasis on youth development. We believe in holistic discipleship as a key to accomplish our mission. All programming fits within this organizational priority.
For Grand Rapids Bridge Year:
- To create an effective environment for GRBY staff to grow in their leadership capacity and for students to grow in their knowledge of Christ and their mission in this world.
- To ensure the effective execution of BSM’s Grand Rapids Bridge Year curriculum and programming (September-April), as well as Grand Rapids Immersion summer high school initiative (June-July).
- To increase GRBY program participation to 25-30 students per year.
- To work with BSM executive staff to further develop the GRBY program for increased effectiveness and program multiplication.
For Grand Rapids Immersion (feeder program to GRBY):
- Create a diverse environment for high school students to grow in their understanding of God’s character, his word, and his mission, specifically in an urban context.
- Further develop a city-wide collaborative GRI team.
Reports to: Operations Director
- Program Development and Oversight (65%): Oversee the effective execution of all program elements. Tasks will include, but not be limited to, leading collaborative team meetings and task management for Grand Rapids Immersion, work with GRBY Team to ensure all elements of the program are planned and executed.
- Program Advancement (10%): Promote and represent program and oversee student recruitment. Tasks will include exploring promotional opportunities and being present at fairs, conference and other promotional events, and will include actively recruiting students into our programming throughout the year.
- Team Leadership (10%): Tasks will include, but not be limited to, leading weekly team meetings, helping support the health a growth of team members, regularly casting vision for team.
- BSHOP Team Member (10%): Participate in team meetings and discussions – provide input, accept feedback, and help shape the BSHOP organization.
- Other Ministry Responsibilities as Required (5%): The BSHOP is a growing ministry where everyone gives an extra hand in various place. Anticipated areas of additional responsibility include the annual BSHOP banquet and our three annual races. Other responsibilities will surface as necessary.
- Follower of Jesus and actively involved in a local church
- Committed to personal and family health and spiritual growth and maturity
- Have a calling to Christ-centered urban youth ministry and an understanding of Christian Community Development principles
- Have a passion for discipleship, high school students, and young adults
- Can thrive with administrative and logistical responsibilities
- Have experience effectively leading small teams
- Experience in a diverse, multi-cultural setting
- Passion for bridge/gap year programs
- College degree and 5+ experience in related field preferred
- Self-motived with creative thinking and problem solving skills
- Highly motivated with ability to work well independently, as well as within a highly relational and grassroots team
- Effective team leadership skills
- Organized, personable, and good time management skills
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Who We Are
Bridge Street Ministries (BSM) is an urban Christian Community Development organization that emphasizes youth development and holistic discipleship. BSM is located in Grand Rapids’ West Side, embedded in a neighborhood with a rich history, a beautiful culture, and many struggles. We believe that Jesus’ followers should be a source of peace and shalom in struggling neighborhoods, and we believe that discipling and empowering youth and young people is a key to community revitalization.
We have worked to create an inner-connected series of youth and young adult programs that create a discipleship pathway for kids staring in middle school, through bridge year program. We also have several college partnerships that create opportunities for young adults to seamlessly move from our bridge year program to a local college or university.
To find out more about Bridge Street Ministries, the neighborhood that we serve, and the programs that we facilitate, please visit https://bsmgr.org/
Grand Rapids Bridge Year (GRBY) Program Summary
Grand Rapids Bridge Year (GRBY) is an 8-month discipleship initiative of Bridge Street Ministries designed to prepare young people for a life of mission. GRBY is an immersive program in which post-high school young adults live in an intentional, Christian community setting, learn about God’s character and Christ’s mission, and engage in urban ministry based on Christian Community Development principles. Our program covers three phases:
- Phase I – Spiritual Formation
- Phase 2 – Global Mission
- Phase 3 – Equipping and Sending
Phase I includes 12+ hours per week of classroom instructional learning, 12 hours per week of service, and 16 hours per week of one-on-one mentoring, small group time, bible study, prayer, and other discipleship activities.
Phase II includes an international trip to either Guatemala or India where students serve alongside international partners.
Phase III re-introduces urban ministry while giving students significant leadership roles. This phase also include various tracks that students can choose from, including Christian Community Development, Leadership, or Global Mission. Students also engage in various peer-led learning opportunities.
For more information please visit https://bsmgr.org/grbridgeyear/