Endorsement is an exclusive, on-going covenant relationship between the CRCNA, your calling church, and you. Chaplaincy and Care Ministry pledges to provide support to those who enter spiritual care ministry as well as guidance, support and supervision to those who serve in these ministries. Chaplains agree to participate in the life of their faith community and to maintain communication and accountability to the CRCNA. Endorsements are renewed every five years as formal way to reaffirm this covenant relationship and celebrate your gifts and ministry.
Why Renew your Endorsement?
Endorsement renewal is a great way for a chaplain to reconnect with their calling church, the denomination, and Chaplaincy and Care Ministry. Chaplains have the opportunity to share about their work and receive guidance and support. The church and denomination have opportunities for education and meaningful connection with their communities. For Chaplaincy and Care Ministry, renewal marks a chaplain’s years of service and enables them to better supervise, train, and encourage chaplains in their ministry. Five-year renewal is required for chaplains to maintain their endorsement through the CRCNA.
Steps for Renewal
Chaplains must renew their endorsements every five years. Chaplaincy and Care Ministry (CCM) will contact you to let you know when your renewal is due. To renew your endorsement, please complete the following steps:
- Annual Report: Please write an update on your work, events from the past year, and future goals. You may use your report to your calling church for this. Reports do not need to be long, but should provide a comprehensive reflection on your ministry from the past year.
- Employer’s Job Review: Please submit a recent job review (within the last 12 months) from your employer along with your supervisor’s name and contact information.
- Photo: Please send us a recent head shot or quality (that is, not blurry) photo of you for our files.
- Covenant of Joint Supervision (CJS): All chaplains must renew their CJS every 5 years. This is an opportunity to sit down with a representative of your calling church, review your previous CJS, and create a new one. Please send your updated CJS, signed by you and a church council member, for the CCM Director to review and sign. A CJS template is available here.
- Meet with the Director: Contact CCM to schedule a brief (30 minute), informal meeting with the CCM Director to share about your life and ministry, professional updates, prayer requests, and ways we can support you. Meetings may be done via video conference or by phone.
- Miscellaneous Documents: Please send an up-to-date job description if your workplace, position, or duties have changed significantly in the past 5 years. If you require an updated letter of call, please provide this as well. Please also provide proof of your CPE trainings or board certification if you have not done so already.
Once these steps are completed, the Director of Chaplaincy and Care Ministry will sign your CJS and an updated letter of endorsement. These will be sent to the chaplain, calling church, and classis.
Contact CCM at [email protected] or (616) 224-0844 to start your renewal process.