Skip to main content

I am wondering, can there be a Membership Transfer from a CRC church to a Presbyterian Church of Canada congregation? Or does she need to resign from our church and then join the Pres. church after completing membership classes?

Thanks for advising! 


Since the CRC is not in ecclesiastical fellowship with the Presbyterian Church of Canada, a direct transfer of membership cannot be sent.  A statement of the person's membership with notable dates, such as baptism and profession of faith, can be given to the person, and if she wishes, she can submit that to her new church.  Any process of becoming a member there would be governed by that church's rules.

While we would not encourage a person to resign their membership in a CRC, the council could acquiesce in a resignation and give thanks that she has found another church home.  

I have bothered Kathy Smith more than once with questions about Church Order, and value her responses.

Let me add that as a (former?) pastor within the Presbyterian Church in Canada and now an Elder within a CRC congregation, that most PCC congregations would likely accept said letter without hesitation and welcome you. Most would simply want to know that you have been baptize and have made a profession of faith. From a pastoral perspective, unless you have changed residences mailing it difficult to worship in your CRC congregation, I would encourage you tpo share with the pastor or an elder the reason for you leaving the congregation. We can all learn and grow from one another,


Ron VanAuken

Let's Discuss

We love your comments! Thank you for helping us uphold the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.

Login or Register to Comment

We want to hear from you.

Connect to The Network and add your own question, blog, resource, or job.

Add Your Post