Did you know that giving of appreciated assets is generally the most tax-efficient way to give?
In the USA we work with our ministry partner The Barnabas Foundation to help us process security gifts.
The proceeds from the sale of your appreciated Stock, Bond or Mutual fund, will be forwarded to the Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRCNA) and its agencies (ReFrame Ministries, Resonate Global Mission, and Thrive).
Here's how it works:
- Transfers must be initiated by your financial advisor to The Barnabas Foundation. (Please confirm with them that the shares have been transferred from your account.) See the Securities Gift Form attached for details.
- The Barnabas Foundation will provide you a charitable receipt for your contribution including its value for IRS reporting purposes.
- The CRCNA and/or the named Agency or Program will also receive a copy of the letter.
- Per IRS requirements, your contribution will be reflected as the average of the high and low share price on the day the share is received, which may differ from the price the share is sold for.
- Submit the attached form to the Barnabas Foundation
Upon receipt of the shares, The Barnabas Foundation will liquidate them and credit the proceeds received from the sale to the CRCNA or the ministry agency you choose (ReFrame Ministries, Resonate Global Mission, and Thrive).
Please Note: For year-end gifts, shares need to be received into Barnabas Foundation’s account on or before December 31 to count as a current calendar year contribution. It generally takes a week for your investment professional to get all the paperwork processed and for the shares to transfer, so please plan accordingly.
If you are new to making these types of gifts, The Barnabas Foundation is happy to walk you through the process. Please call them at 888.448.3040 or email us using the Online Contact Form. https://barnabasfoundation.org/contact-us/
You can also contact the CRCNA Advancement Team any time by emailing: [email protected]