Our annual Disability Concerns Leadership Training Event was August 11 and 12, 2021, and was once again online. Both days, our conversation centered around the question #WhosMissingInMyChurch.
- On day one, presenters focused on lived experience of being young and disabled in church.
- On day two, speakers discussed what the church needs to do to welcome the presence of younger generations and to make space for young people with disabilities, and specific actions each person can take. Thank you to all who participated and made it a truly fantastic experience.
Following are information and resources to support you in your own journey in making more accessible spaces within your own community:
Thank you to our keynote speakers Zoie Sheets (Day 1), Annalise Radcliffe (Day 2), and Ruth Langkamp (Day 2) for their insightful conversations throughout our event. All three have generously provided their slide presentations:
- PDF of slides for Day 1 keynote: “The Urgency of Creating Accessible Faith Spaces” by Zoie Sheets
- Online slides for Day 2 keynote: “How to Welcome Next Generation Leaders” by Annalise Radcliffe and Ruth Langkamp
- Non-scanned PDF of slides for Day 2 keynote: “How to Welcome Next Generation Leaders” by Annalise Radcliffe and Ruth Langkamp (embedded videos not included)
- Day 2 video of James Andrew Gilbert: “What does it look like to practice your faith?”
- Day 2 video of Bizzy Feekes: “What does it feel like to be heard?”
- Day 2 video of Shamara Tumblin: “When was a time you felt included as a leader?”
Each day the event opened with Cassie Lokker sharing music that she has composed, as well as the stories of what led her to write each song. Following this, Disability Concerns community members led a meditation.
- Day 1 video meditation: Doug McClintic
- Day 2 video meditation: Cara Milne
- Cassie Lokker’s intro video for “Waiting Here”
- “Waiting Here” by Cassie Lokker
- Cassie Lokker’s intro video for “We Will Sing”
- “We Will Sing” by Cassie Lokker
Videos of Event
Our speakers and panelist noted a few books that they found very insightful and helpful in their own journey. We wanted to share their recommendations with you:
- Book: Demystifying Disability – by Emily Ladau
- Book: Disability Visibility – by Alice Wong
- Book: Beauty Is a Verb – by Jennifer Bartlett, Michael Northen, and Sheila Black
- Book: Belonging: Accessibility, Inclusion, and Christian Community – by Deborah Meyer Abbs
- Handbook: Everybody Belongs, Serving Together – by CRC and RCA Disability Concerns, Christian Horizons, and Elim Christian Services
Please take a few minutes to explore the links below to find out about further ways you can be connected:
- 2021–2022 Disability Advocacy Journey, sponsored by the RCA and CRCNA
- Joni & Friends – Global Access online event – August 26, 2021 (Chantal Huinink, one of our panelists, will be one of the speakers)
- Disability Concerns Canada’s webinar training series – Thursday evenings in October
Thank you for considering supporting our ministries!
(Disability Concerns Ministry is a partnership between the RCA and CRCNA. Please feel free to donate to either denominational organization.)