Matthew 19:14 New International Version (NIV) 14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
It is so important to recognize the importance of Sunday school, GEMS, Cadets, and other ministries in the lives of our children. This can be a beautiful space to share the love of God with them. It is a space for them to feel comfortable learning how to form friendships and build relationships with trusted adults.
However it can also be a space for great sadness and isolation if children’s social, emotional and mental health needs are not recognized and supported. It is important to equip leaders with the tools to nurture faith in ways that meet the needs of all children while encouraging the whole group to show kindness and respect to everyone.
The following is a list of resources and ideas that will support children’s ministries where all children feel like they belong.
- Resources for Teaching ALL the Kids in Your Sunday School Class
- Suggested Accommodations for Specific Behaviors
- Autism and Children's Ministry
- Congregational Student Ministry
- Dear Teacher: Heartfelt Advice for Teachers from Students
- A Tool on Disability Attitudes for Youth or Adult Sunday School
- Helping Kids Include Kids…With Autism
- Children's Sermon: Children of Light Loving All People
- Autism and Your Church