Faith formation is an elusive term. How do we know if faith is being formed in children, teens, and adults, and does faith look the same for everyone? How can we tell if all the Sunday school classes, youth group meetings, adult ed sessions, and small group gatherings are truly forming faith in people?
Only God sees the heart. But there are a number of things you can look for to give you a window into the health of faith formation in your congregation.
Using the four Building Blocks of Faith as categories, here are 25 touchpoints you can use to evaluate faith formation in your congregation. The goal is that people of all ages, backgrounds, and faith stages might be able to agree with these statements in age- and ability-appropriate ways.
- I know deep down that I belong to God
- I belong to God’s family in all times and places
- I have opportunities to connect with people of all ages in my church family
- I have opportunities to participate fully in worship
- I understand and participate in the sacraments
- I extend a welcome to others in my church, community, and world
I Know and Understand
- I know the arc of Scripture (creation, fall, redemption, restoration)
- I increasingly know and understand God’s Word
- I’m learning what it means to be a Christ-follower
- I know the stories of how God is working in my church family
- I know my own faith story and can share it with others
I Have Hope
I have hope in God’s promises:
- I will be your God and you will be my people
- If you seek me you will find me
- My love will never fail
- I will comfort you in trials
- I will supply your needs
- All who believe in Jesus will be saved
- I will give you new life
- Jesus will return to renew all things
I Am Called and Equipped
- I am equipped to hear and answer God’s call
- I’m learning how God has gifted me
- I am discovering my place in the Kingdom of God
- I’m given opportunities to lead and serve in my areas of strength
- I am equipped to share God’s love with others
- I participate in equipping and encouraging others to understand their calling
How does your church evaluate faith formation?