Many Christian Reformed Churches in Canada have been impacted by changes this year to Canada's summer jobs program. You can read more Network posts about this topic here:
- CRC Canadian Ministries Director Signs Statement on Summer Jobs Program
- Applying for a Canada Summer Jobs Grant? Here's Some Important Information
- What to do if your Canada Summer Jobs Application in Returned
- Canada Summer Jobs: Advice on Legal Action
The Canadian Council of Christian Charities recently released additional information about this program and steps that are being taken by various churches. We wanted to forward this information to you for your consideration.
Thank you for your kind support as we move forward with keeping the government accountable on this issue. I know that many are wondering what is happening as it appears things have gone quiet. Things are not as they appear. We are busy lining things up:
Currently there are over 20 charities that have signed up to be part of the litigation against the government's use of the attestation. That is a good number. I understand there may be more. We are in the final stages of deciding on legal counsel. We have had a number of interested firms and we are winding that process down. Our strategy is: 1. Make sure that we have competent counsel; 2. That none of our charities will be in a situation where legal costs could skyrocket; 3. That we have a fundraising strategy in place; 4. That we have a proper communication vehicle to share with the Canadian public what we are doing and why – to tell the story of our members and the work they do.
To that end:
1. We are going to hire one firm to be the lead (with me in close alignment);
2. Our fundraising email went out yesterday – see below;
3. As we see the level of funding we receive we will know how many and the type of cases to pursue;
4. We are finishing up a website that will be our primary vehicle for letting the Canadian public know why we are going to court. As soon as it is running I will let everyone know.
Note: Last month the government announced its funding decisions on its website. However, for some reason the government has yet to send out its official decision to the applicants. That means the 30 day timeline for the Judicial Review has not yet begun to run. Therefore, we have more time to get everything in place so that when the notices are given we will have our documents ready for court filing.
How You Can Help
First, we need wisdom. We believe in the power of prayer and we solicit your prayers that as we go forward we are doing so as appropriate witnesses for the Lord – running with Him not against Him.
Second, we would appreciate you giving us a 30 second video clip of why the Summer Jobs Program is an important part of your ministry, what you would have done with the funds had you received them, or anything that is on your heart about this whole issue. We will add these clips to the website we are putting together. As mentioned, this site will be our collective public face to share with our fellow Canadians why this issue has struck a nerve not only with religious but non-religious people.
Third, we ask that you spread the word about our plan and that you encourage all to sign up on our blog, so that everyone can be informed as to what is happening:
to sign up for our blog go to: http://www.cccc.org/news_blogs/barry/
Put your email address in the box indicated. Please note ONLY put in your email address. A space on either side of your email will not work.
Fourth, support our fundraising for this litigation (and feel free to pass it on). Note two things:
- the link to where you can donate online is: Please join us by supporting the Legal Defence Fund now,
- the link to the detailed fundraising letter: read the detailed update here
Barry W. Bussey, BA, LL.B., MA, LL.M., MPACS
Director, Legal Affairs
Canadian Council of Christian Charities