Just as the inferiority complexes that racism creates in people of color are distortions of our God-given identities, the superiority complexes created for white people in these systems of racism also distort our God-given identities. This is not the full and abundant life that God has for us.
Whiteness is more than the color of someone’s skin — when we use the word “whiteness,” we are referring to the system of thinking (and the social structures built on this system of thinking) that values the cultures, bodies, and contributions of people with white skin above those of people of color. These systems were constructed over generations — there’s plenty to learn and unlearn so that we can be free to live the abundant life God has for us! Here are some resources we recommend to get you started.
- Waking Up White: And Finding Myself in the Story of Race (Debby Irving)
- Cracking Open White Identity Towards Transformation (discussion guide from the Canadian Council of Churches)
- Listening Well as a Person of Privilege (blog series by Christena Cleveland)
- Becoming Trustworthy White Allies (Rev. Melanie S. Morrison)
- Colour Code Podcast (The Globe and Mail)
- Kenosis Community Groups: Kenosis Community Groups are gathering spaces facilitated by White people for White people so that concepts and topics related to race and racism in Canada can be explored in an environment that promotes freedom to explore without fear of offense. The groups are designed to allow people to journey together as a learning community to safely explore and unpack the effects and impacts that unearned privilege has on them and others in Canadian society. To learn more, contact Bernadette Arthur at [email protected].