First Presbyterian Church of Birmingham, MI is seeking a full-time Christian Educator with a heart for including people of all abilities in the full life of the church.
Who We Are
First Presbyterian Church can best be understood through our vision and inclusion statements. Our vision statement is “As Everybody’s Church we commit ourselves to serving Christ by cultivating mission, inclusion, and community.” Our inclusion statement is, “As Everybody's Church we strive to be a faithful, open, and inclusive community. We welcome the full participation of all people of any ability, gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other life circumstance.” We are a church of around 700 members that has worked to be a welcoming and inclusive community for all persons, including those with disabilities. Our membership includes young families with children, teens, and older adults, spanning all races (though we are a majority white congregation), genders, and sexual orientations. We are active in mission, both local and international. Our facilities are shared by our Hand in Hand Day School, FAR, a non-profit that serves hundreds of clients with disabilities, by offering music, art, and recreational therapy, and are used by multiple groups such as AA and Al-Anon.
This position is focused on two areas: children’s faith formation and the spiritual enrichment of our children, teens, and adults with disabilities. The person for whom we are looking will have a passion for children’s faith formation, who can assist us in continually visioning what children’s Christian Education/Formation looks like in our ever-changing world and then work toward implementing a wholistic program that supports faith growth in children and their families. The successful candidate will also have a heart for persons with disabilities such that we can continue and enhance our All Abilities Inclusion Ministry. We are also seeking someone who enjoys collaboration with a staff that shares in all aspects of ministry, rather than operating in silos. This is a full-time position with salary range between $45,000 and $55,000 (depending on experience), with full Board of Pensions benefits, vacation, and sick leave. A minimum five years of experience in Christian Education is required. A Certified Christian Educator is desired but not required, with requisite experience.
To apply, please email a cover letter, your resume to [email protected].
Director of Christian Education & All Abilities Inclusion Ministries
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Head of Staff
PURPOSE: To help children and adults of all abilities grow in their faith, understanding and commitment to Jesus Christ and to connect as a community of faith.
1. In coordination with Children and Family Ministries oversee children’s Christian faith formation at First Presbyterian Church
2. In coordination with Pastoral staff develop adult Faith Formation programs
3. In coordination with All Abilities Inclusion Ministry (AAIM) https://www.fpcbirmingham.org/inclusion.html oversee our program for children, teens, and adults with disabilities
1. Educational Programs (Birth-5th Grade)
• Recruit, schedule, train teachers for Sunday school and VBC
• Recruit and oversee nursery staff
• Review/select/create curriculum for Sunday school (Nursery, Worship Wonder https://www.fpcbirmingham.org/worship-wonder.html, and CrossWalks https://www.fpcbirmingham.org/crosswalks.html)
• Plan special events for children and families
• Plan and create milestone programs for family faith formation https://www.fpcbirmingham.org/milestones-for-children.html
2. Educational Programs Adults
• Work with Pastors to coordinate adult educational opportunities
• Work with staff to create and coordinate intergenerational educational events
3. All Abilities Inclusion Ministries (AAIM)
• Work with families of children, teens and adults in the AAIM program to create a Spiritual Individual Educational Plan (IEP).
• Prepare curriculum for AAIM students.
• Recruit and train teachers/volunteers for AAIM program.
• Participate in the planning and leadership of Rejoicing Spirits services and the fellowship following the services https://www.rejoicingspirits.org
• Communicate and build relationships with area agencies/organizations such as FAR, Judson Center, Angel’s Place, and others. This may also include coordinating events with these entities.
• Maintain our relationship with the national Rejoicing Spirits community.
• Support (as needed) SAIL (https://www.sailhousingsolutions.org)
• Worship Planning
• Meet with staff each week to review the bulletins and the week’s services.
• In coordination with staff offer thoughts and ideas about worship and how children
and those with disabilities can be more fully incorporated into worship
• Serve as staff support for Pontiac Schools Work Group
• Write mission projects into the Rotation Model Sunday School curriculum each year
5. Pastoral Care
• Visit children who are hospitalized
• Meet with parents who have special concerns about their children.
6. Wider Church
• Participate in Detroit area Educators group and APCE https://apcenet.org/advocate/
• Connect with PCUSA Presbyterians for Disabilities Concerns
Staff Liaison to Children and Family Ministries, AAIM, Pontiac Schools Work Group
• At least 5 years of experience in Christian Education
• Certified or Associate Certified Educator status preferred but not required
• A passion for including all persons in developing their faith in Jesus Christ
• Knowledge of the Reformed Tradition and theology
• Ability to work with a team of colleagues
• Flexibility in dealing with changing situations and needs
• Creativity in developing programs and opportunities for developing faith.
• $45,000 - $55,000 based on experience
o Board of Pensions medical/pension/disability
o 4 weeks of vacation
o Other benefits as outlined in our Personnel policies
We love your comments! Thank you for helping us uphold the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.