Join us at Inspire 2022! Safe Church Ministry is hosting a pre-conference event on August 4, as well as four workshops.
Come early to Inspire 2022 and join us for our pre-conference event on August 4, titled Being a Safe Church for Ministry Leaders. If you attend the pre-conference event, you'll be able to choose one from the following Safe Church workshops:
- Abuse of Power Training for Ministry Leaders (ie. pastors, directors, elders, or deacons). In this 6-hour workshop, participants will learn about the gift and responsibility of power and spiritual authority, how to steward authority in ways that lead to the flourishing of others, understanding abuse of power and how to prevent it, establishing healthy boundaries for oneself and for others, and cultivating a goodness culture in your congregation. This workshop fulfills the recommendation of the Addressing Abuse of Power Committee Report for all ordained pastors to participate in abuse of power training.
- Restorative Practices Training- An Introduction to Using Restorative Circles Effectively: This will serve as Day 1 of the FaithCARE Restorative Practices Training. Day 2 material of this course is currently being planned for an online virtual setting in subsequent weeks after Inspire. This training will give participants the knowledge and practice to understand restorative practices more deeply and plan a course of action to further become trained or use restorative practices within their congregations or communities. This pre-day conference opportunity will serve as a key training for those who are representing their congregation in the Restorative Congregation Cohorts beginning in 2022. Learn more about restorative practices and the Restorative Congregations Cohort here.
These are the other workshops Safe Church Ministry is hosting at Inspire:
- Is Your Church Safe? - In this workshop, we will talk together about common obstacles to abuse prevention in churches and share best practices. We will explore steps that you can take to make your church safer and introduce new Safe Church Ministry resources such as the new Safe Church Assessment Tool. We will also discuss the dos and don’ts of responding to allegations of abuse. (Friday, August 5th, 10:00-11:00 am). Speaker/facilitator: Amanda Benckhuysen
- Active Bystander Training - What do you do when you see someone being harmed, bullied, or mistreated? If you are a bystander witnessing a harmful situation, you have a choice to make. Learn the basics of becoming an active bystander who knows when and how to interrupt harm-doing in ways that promote positive actions by others. (Friday, August 5th, 11:30-12:30 pm). Speaker: Becky Jones
- The ACE Study: Implications for Ministry - Come find out about the study of Adverse Childhood Experiences and how families and church communities can offer important protective and mitigating factors. (Friday, August 5th, 2:00-3:00 pm). Speaker: Tara Boer
- Restorative Circle Practices: Ways to Live Restoratively in a World Falling Apart - Come find out how the simple but profound way Restorative Practices (based on the principles of Restorative Justice) can deepen relationships, create healthier church communities and build capacity to transform conflict into opportunity. This workshop will cover: Practical ways to utilize the practices, experiencing aspects of a circle, the continuum of restorative practices, and the social discipline window. (Friday, August 5th, 3:30-4:30 pm). Speakers: Eric Kas and Liz Tolkamp