Skip to main content

February 8, 2023⁠—World Renew is preparing a response to the urgent needs of people impacted by the two major earthquakes and hundreds of significant aftershocks that rocked southern Türkiye and northern Syria early on February 6, 2023

The organization is accepting donations for Türkiye/Syria Earthquake at More donation and contact information is included lower in this release. 

World Renew has already released initial funds to meet initial emergency needs in earthquake response. The organization is making plans to provide additional immediate aid as our partners assess the losses of those who are the most vulnerable in this catastrophic disaster. Through long-term, local partners, World Renew has provided emergency assistance to displaced people in this area for more than a decade. 

Early Monday, a powerful magnitude 7.8 earthquake rocked southeastern Türkiye near the Syrian border, killing more than 11,000 people, injuring 40,000 more, and reducing many buildings to rubble. A few hours later, a 7.5 magnitude earthquake hit the region again, causing even more heartbreak and destruction. 

Monday’s disasters have been followed by 100 smaller aftershocks, and rescue teams are now working to pull survivors from the piles of rubble in freezing, snowy conditions. Damage to infrastructure, major aid hubs, and vital border crossings complicate relief efforts. 

Members of your audience can donate to World Renew’s Türkiye/Syria Earthquake Response at, by calling 800-552-7972, or by mailing a check made out to World Renew and marked Türkiye/Syria Response in the memo line, to: 

World Renew 

8970 Byron Commerce Drive SW

Byron Center, Mich., 49315-7400

World Renew is a faith-based non-profit that works each year in more than 30 countries to address poverty, hunger, and injustice through development and disaster response programs in communities of poverty. These programs are carried out through local Christian partner organizations and churches and supported by World Renew’s generous donors in North America and its alliances with well-established networks of government and non-government organizations worldwide. 


Quick Question for World Renew:  I had a parishoner ask (in light of the day and age we live in :) ) are there any percentages of gifts given - such as the Turkey/Syria relief support - that go to administrative costs?  In other words what percent of the gift gets directly to the frontlines to buy the food/clothing/water needed?  Thanks!

Steve, Thank you for your question.  I reached out to our Finance team and this is what we currently have for gifts given to World Renew: 

World Renew currently assesses a 14.5% administrative fee to donor-restricted gifts.  This fee helps support the administrative structures needed to manage World Renew programs and provide appropriate levels of oversight.  The remaining 85.5% is used directly for the specified donor-restricted project.

Having said that, World Renew is also able to leverage our funds from several alliances and international organizations that we partner with around the world, so every $1 that is donated is multiplied with our partners and this results in around $1.60 used entirely for directly benefitting the communities we serve.  We are currently working with these established partners in the area of the earthquake, so any gifts given will be able to reach our partners quickly, as they are providing emergency needs, such as food, water, shelter and other basic immediate needs. I hope this information helps, Steve.           Blessings,  Pam McNitt - World Renew




Let's Discuss

We love your comments! Thank you for helping us uphold the Community Guidelines to make this an encouraging and respectful community for everyone.

Login or Register to Comment

We want to hear from you.

Connect to The Network and add your own question, blog, resource, or job.

Add Your Post