The Board of Trustees meets three times per year to implement matters assigned by synod and carry out interim functions on behalf of synod (read more). "BOT Highlights" are published following each meeting and distributed to churches by way of the stated clerk of classis. Here's the latest issue.
Burlington, Ontario – The Board of Trustees of the Christian Reformed Church in North America met on Feb. 21-22, 2013 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Burlington, Ontario.
During this meeting the Board:
- Endorsed a framework for the realignment of various denominational ministry functions in order to better serve congregations in the work of faith formation. The realignment will be based on an initiative proposed by the synodical Faith Formation Committee and will seek to more closely connect ministries that serve related functions. Because Faith Alive is facing significant financial difficulties, this vital CRC ministry will be a key element in the effort, together with several of the CRC’s specialized ministries. A staff team is working on proposals for realignment and the Board will receive an update on progress at its May 2013 meeting.
- Discussed and endorsed the report of the Task Force Reviewing Structure and Culture.The report of the task force will be on the agenda for Synod 2013.
- Endorsed a report from the Office of Pastor-Church Relations aimed at strengthening early involvement in assisting congregations that are experiencing conflict and instructed staff to prepare options for funding the recommendations in anticipation of synod’s response to the report. The report was in response to a mandate given by Synod 2012.
- Also endorsed a report from Pastor-Church Relations regarding guidelines for former pastors and congregations. This follows a review of the guidelines as requested by synod when they were adopted by Synod 2009.
- Instructed the Executive Director to convene a group of staff to recommend ways to respond to Synod 2012’s request that CRC agencies and institutions “exercise robust leadership in caring for the creation and addressing a changing climate, including the need to reduce our denominational carbon emissions.”
- Approved a Senior Leadership Transition Plan extending the employment of Rev. Joel Boot and Rev. Peter Borgdorff up to June 30, 2014, to serve as deputies in supporting roles to the new Executive Director. The length of service and amount of time involved will be determined by the Board’s Executive Committee in consultation with the new Executive Director, once that person has been appointed.
- Heard a report on Canadian ministry initiatives, the annual plan of the Christian Reformed Centre for Public Dialogue, and progress on the mandate given to the interim Director of Canadian Ministries.
- Recommended that Synod 2013 encourage all Christian Reformed churches to adopt a policy on disability and appoint at least one person to serve as a congregational disability advocate. Also recommended that synod encourage churches, classes and educational institutions to celebrate Disability Week, Oct. 14-20, 2013.
- Recommended that Synod 2013 adopt a revision to Church Order Article 12-b, adding the category of “specialized transitional ministry.”
- Recommended that synod accept the invitation of First CRC in Pella, Iowa, as the convening church for Synod 2014.
- Recommended that Synod 2013 adopt the revised Public Declaration of Agreement with the Beliefs of the Christian Reformed Church in North America and expressed its gratitude to Dr. Henry De Moor for his work in rewriting the form.
- Recommended that synod adopt a report clarifying the role served by advisers to synod.
- Recommended that Synod 2013 adopt a resolution commemorating the 450th anniversary of the Heidelberg Catechism. The resolution also recommends a renewed study of its insights and contributions to Christian life as well as a call for unity in Christ by asking all congregations to recite Q. and A. 1 of the catechism during morning worship on Sunday, September 15, 2013.
- Appointed ethnic advisers and young adult representatives to Synod 2013, pending their agreement to serve.
- Adopted a resolution of congratulations to The King’s University College on the appointment of Dr. Melanie Humphreys as its fourth president.
- Next meetings:
- May 2-3, 2013 - Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Sept. 26-28, 2013 - simultaneous board meetings in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Feb. 27-28, 2014 – Burlington, Ontario
- May 1-2, 2014 – Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Sept. 25-27, 2014 - simultaneous board meetings in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Feb. 26-27, 2015 – Burlington, Ontario
- May 7-8, 2015 – Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Sept. 24-26, 2015 – simultaneous board meetings in Grand Rapids, Michigan