The Board of Trustees meets three times per year to implement matters assigned by synod and carry out interim functions on behalf of synod (read more at crcna.org/welcome/christian-reformed-church-governance/board-trustees). "BOT Highlights" are published following each meeting and distributed to churches by way of the stated clerk of classis. Here's the latest issue.
The Board of Trustees of the Christian Reformed Church in North America met on February 26 and 27, 2015, at the Burlington Christian Reformed Church in Burlington, Ontario. During this meeting the Board:
1. Interviewed and appointed Mr. Colin P. Watson, Sr., as the Director of Ministries and Administration for the CRCNA. Synod authorized the Board to both make and ratify the appointment, meaning he can begin working without waiting for ratification by synod. Mr.Watson is expected to begin his new duties in mid-April, taking the place of Rev. Joel R. Boot, who has been serving in the position on an interim basis. For a full report, go to: CRC Appoints Watson as Director of Ministries and Administration.
2. Approved the nomination of Rev. Leonard J. Vander Zee and recommended him to Synod 2015 for appointment as interim editor-in-chief of The Banner.
3. In other Banner-related matters, the Board:
a. Recommended that synod adopt additions to the current Banner mandate in order to provide a balance between the views of two constituencies within the CRC, one of which is concerned about losing our Reformed identity, while the other is concerned about losing an opportunity to connect with our surrounding society.
b. Emphasized the importance of regular consultation between the Banner editor and the Executive Director.
c. Accepted the proposal of Banner staff and Ministry Support Services to omit one summer print edition of The Banner to assist in balancing the budget. Instead of printing separate issues in July and August, The Banner will publish a joint July-August issue.
4. Supported an overture to synod from Classis Grand Rapids East requesting that an exception be granted enabling Executive Director Dr. Steven Timmermans to serve as a commissioned pastor within all classes that wish to recognize his ordination.
5. Spent time hearing from and interacting with the Committee to Provide Pastoral Guidance re: Same-Sex Marriage, as a way of assisting the committee in formulating its report and recommendations to Synod 2016.
6. Received reports from its standing committees based on the “Five Streams” as well as a Strategic Plan standing committee. As part of these reports, the Board affirmed the request by the boards of Christian Reformed Home Missions and Christian Reformed World Missions to develop a plan for unifying these two agencies into a single mission agency with both a local and global mission focus.
7. Recommended that Synod 2015 accept the invitation of North Hills CRC in Troy, Mich., to serve as the convening church of Synod 2016, with synod meeting on the campus of Calvin College.
8. Recommended that synod encourage CRC churches, classes and educational institutions to sponsor events to celebrate Disability Awareness Week Oct. 12-18, 2015.
9. Appointed, on behalf of synod, Mr. Seth Adema and Dr. Linda Naranjo-Huebl to the Doctrine of Discovery Task Force.
10. Approved the interim appointment of Rev. Stanley Scripps (Classis Holland) as synodical deputy.
11. Appointed Ms. Dena Nicolai and Ms. Samia Saad to the Committee for Contact with the Government.
12. Appointed a slate of deacon advisers, ethnic advisers and young adult representatives to serve at Synod 2015.
13. Instructed the BOT Finance Committee to appoint a Task Force on Financial Sustainability, with a mandate to help the Board better understand the various ways in which CRCNA ministries are supported financially, as well as the financial paradigms used by other denominations, and recommend strategies and policies that would assist the CRCNA in moving toward “a sustainable paradigm for the next generation.”
- May 7-8, 2015, in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Sept. 24-26, 2015, simultaneous board meetings in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Feb. 25-26, 2016, in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- May 5-6, 2016, in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Sept. 29 to Oct. 1, 2016, simultaneous board meetings in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Feb. 23-24, 2017, in Burlington, Ontario
- May 4-5, 2017, in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Sept. 28-30, 2017, in Grand Rapids, Michigan
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Steven Timmermans, Executive Director