I know it's busy but think about what you would normally do and just invite someone to join you.
I know that this time of year is filled with Christmas programs, parties, events to organize, running the kids to concert rehearsals, concerts, plays, candlelight services, and I'm getting tired just writing about it. So who wants to think about New Years or January for that matter. December is already overrun with "stuff" to do. But here's something to consider that we often miss. Hey, and you can wait until January to implement it.
January is a great time to consider small group connecting events that usually lead to new groups being formed. The New Year often brings with it a heightened realization in people that they need to do something important and productive. Why not connect with a small group and develop more deeply in their walk as a disciple.
So grab the calendar and consider some dates, talk with the pastor about his/her support and make your event count. Hopefully you have a team that helps put events together — otherwise you need to organize one — and get planning the event that will help connect people into a small group.
I'm not going to reinvent the wheel so I suggest reading some of my friend Mark Howell's stuff. He's got a great blog post with linked posts here on his page Three December Keys to January Impact.
And don't forget to invite your friends to different church events and especially if your small group is planning a Christmas get-together. Here are some small group options during the holiday season to connect:
- Invite a friend(s) to cut down a Christmas tree together.
- Gather your small group and friends to serve at a soup kitchen or local outreach followed by a gathering at someone's home for a casual debrief.
- Adopt a family or single person, widow or widower who could use support at this time of the year. Make their Christmas a memorable one.
- Do a random sidewalk shoveling for folks in your neighborhood.
- Of course invite folks to your church's Christmas events.
- Insert your own ideas here.______________________
Share some of your ideas here.