Skip to main content

Posted in: PAR Brochure

Hi Karla,

The purpose of the PAR brochure enrolment form is to ensure the administrator has the correct and complete donor and banking information and evidence of the donor's permission to withdraw funds in accordance with the donor's wishes.

However, the content of the form and the donor's intent can be communicated effectively in ways other than hardcopy, ie email, scan, a pic, which would suffice.   



In my experience, there are many iterations of the treasurer role at local church levels. In some instances, the Treasurer is rightly seen as a corporate director and officer and as such is not normally eligible to be paid. While exercising oversight over the organizational finances, much of the actual day to day financial administration is delegated; undertaken by paid staff or contracted to accounting professionals.

In situations, where the treasurer is hands on and taking on the various tasks of financial administration (donation processing, accounts payable, bookkeeping, etc) it would seem appropriate to compensate the treasurer for these professional services. 

Another significant aspect in the context of the church is the volunteer nature of many of the leadership roles including that of treasurer.  While the church might not be disposed to compensate for such services, neither should it take them for granted.  

I very much recommend becoming a member of the CCCC's, subscribing to their charity newsletters and accessing their Charities Handbook and other helpful resources.  The denomination, CRCNA, is a CCCC member and has benefited greatly as a result.  My local congregation is also a member.

Another invaluable information resource in the areas you have listed is

Terry V 

As Melanie mentioned, the CRC denomination office hosts the PAR (pre-authorized remittance) program as a value-added service for Canadian churches. PAR is a no-cost, administratively effectively way to offer direct withdrawal giving to your local congregation.

Here's a link to the brochure,

or email [email protected], for more information.

There is no provision or program to facilitate credit card giving for local congregations.

Thanks Pastor Jim and Pastor Colin for sharing your experience!

Colin, you are correct that "housing allowance" is not really relevant in Canada in terms of employment, tax, and the Clergy Residence Deduction.  However, the concept lives on and it is still very much a part of the CRC vernacular.  The formal Letter of Call used by the CRC throughout North America references "housing allowance" to the extent that it is relevant in the USA and may be considered by Canadian churches in how the total compensation (salary) is determined.  Similarly, the term and concept is also found in the annual Ministers' Compensation Survey.  Doing so provides some bases for comparison between classes and regions and even between churches within a Classis.

It is clear though that "housing allowance" and the Clergy Residence Deduction are not one and the same and are not simply interchangeable.

Regarding the reduction of income tax in consideration of the Clergy Residence Deduction, the onus is rightly on the employee, as the taxpayer.  CRA requires the submission of a Request to Reduce Tax Deductions At Source (see link below),  by which an eligible person would request recognition of the CRD and possibly, other recurring and substantiated deductions ie charitable donations.  If successful, CRA will issue an approval to be provided to the employer which permits the employer to effectively reduce the amount of tax deducted at source.  This avoids the "worst case scenario" of penalties, etc as mentioned by Colin. 

Colin, I don't think this means that you're out to lunch, although if you're ever in Ontario or would consider a call to the East, lunch is on me.

Terry V

To be eligible for the CRD, an individual must meet BOTH the status and function test.

In the context of the CRC, status is generally met if the individual is ordained; minister, elder, deacon.

The function test is  fairly clear in the context of serving as a pastor or ministry leader who is ordained or commissioned for service.  Engaged exclusively in full-time administrative service may be a bit more ambiguous in the context of a local congregation but the example you give of an Executive Pastor could apply, assuming it is an exclusive, full-time position.

Administrative assistants would normally not be eligible under the terms of both the status and function test.

We want to hear from you.

Connect to The Network and add your own question, blog, resource, or job.

Add Your Post